Handbrake spacer tube guides - fitting

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Handbrake spacer tube guides - fitting

Post by gridgway »

Following on from my handbrake questions. I now have got the handbrake properly working with the spacer butterflies pushing the shoes out all nicely.

In trying to work out what happened in the first place, the spacer tube (49) was cable tied to the spring plate and was left very loosely adjusted. Looking at PET (diagram 701-20) I found that there is a plastic guide (51) that is bolted to the spring plate and clipped over the spacer tube. All well and good, I bought a new one for each side.

They look like they clip over the tube (as they have an open end), but they are very hard plastic and won't give enough for that. It looks to me that the only way to fit them is essentially with the handbrake cable off so the guide can be slipped over the spacer tube. Having had it all apart and now back together and re-bled, I am less than keen to take it all apart again!

Does anyone have specific experience here to give any advice? It's not the worst thing to do to take it all apart again, but I'd prefer not to!

Cheers
Graham
gridgway

Re: Handbrake spacer tube guides - fitting

Post by gridgway »

All sorted. With the brake pipe unclipped where the solid piece from the caliper goes into the flexi piece, you can get enough movement to get the caliper away from the disk. Then you can completely slacken the adjustment nuts off the spacer tube. You need to keep tension on the cable to keep the spacer butterflies engaged in the brake shoes. Then you can slide the plastic guide over the exposed cable on the inner end and onto the spacer tube. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. And now the spacer tube is held in the right place by the proper part, not bodged with cable ties!
gridgway

Re: Handbrake spacer tube guides - fitting

Post by gridgway »

And to add, just need to do the same to the other side, bleed the 3 remaining corners and I'll have zero jobs on my 911 list :shock: