Porsche ranked least reliable car

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Porsche ranked least reliable car

Post by 964RS »

Just sharing article from today.

Thought some may find it interesting.

I’ve certainly found model 996 onwards to be very expensive to maintain if you actually drive them all year round.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... RF6eM0IJVk
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

911hillclimber

Re: Porsche ranked least reliable car

Post by 911hillclimber »

Experience of my Boxster would underline this article to be true indeed.
So many things poorly designed and hence fail early.
A/C rads (corrosion), water cooling pips (corrosion) switches (tiny contacts), discs (corrosion on inner faces)

Many of these faults are not cheap to DIY or OPC repair, and good indie's costs are not too far behind OPC either. Poor material selection (galvanic corrosion) and lack of surface protection be it simple shields against salt water splash or grit rash etc.

Latest for me is a broken window regulator due to window icing/internals icing at zero Deg C.
Why was this not fixed during product development? (although AUDI TT's suffer too, but my Subaru Impreza was fine)

I know a few with these modern Porsches and non have a lot of good to say about running them.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

911hillclimber wrote: Latest for me is a broken window regulator due to window icing/internals icing at zero Deg C.
Why was this not fixed during product development?
Short drop windows are the worst for it as they are repeatedly used in the same area of the gear/cable and then glass freezes to the outer waist seal and overloads the already worn (and probably corroded) cable before the thermal cut out kicks in.

We now test that frozen condition as well as super hot/cold, can’t speak for Porsche though as they tend to do their own thing :)

Ultimately the window lifts on short drop cars are at best considered a service item…

My wife’s TT:
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

964RS wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:30 am I’ve certainly found model 996 onwards to be very expensive to maintain if you actually drive them all year round.
Interesting that Porsche brought Toyota consultants in for the 996 to introduce Kaizen. Toyota came second in the same ranking (to Honda)...
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

How can that be the case if people don't keep their modern porsches for more than 2 weeks and only drive them 100 miles before re-selling them
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
hot66

Post by hot66 »

my spyder had its belt tensioner fail

we've replaced the gear shift cables and guides with new and updated ( preventitive ) as they are known to fail

keeping an eye on the front x over pipes

wonder how yellow cars faired in the survey ? :bounce: :lol: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

It has been no different since 1948

You have to want to love the cars
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

I haven’t read it but has this been biased by all the issues with the Taycan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Been quoted £350 to do my door problem by a trusted Indie. Part is £100 from Design 911 so might be cheaper at the local OPC(!)

Hope the weather warms up soon so can DIY as the car has to be fixed outside, garage very full. Worth it to keep £200, wife may allow it though!!

Take your point Gary on localised wear n tear.
Boxster has now done 74,000 and I've been waiting for another 'task' as it has been running so very well, knew it couldn't go one!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

DustyM wrote:I haven’t read it but has this been biased by all the issues with the Taycan?

From the article :

"The data represents only cars that are outside their manufacturer warranties, meaning the minimum age for the sample is three years. The maximum age for cars included in the analysis is 10 years."
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

911hillclimber wrote:Been quoted £350 to do my door problem by a trusted Indie. Part is £100 from Design 911 so might be cheaper at the local OPC(!)

Hope the weather warms up soon so can DIY as the car has to be fixed outside, garage very full. Worth it to keep £200, wife may allow it though!!

Take your point Gary on localised wear n tear.
Boxster has now done 74,000 and I've been waiting for another 'task' as it has been running so very well, knew it couldn't go one!
If you do DIY then once you’ve got the new lifter back in, get in the car, ignition on, wind the window down fully, shut the door then hold the switch down for a few seconds, then wind it all the way up, hold it again and it should remember it’s end stops and start working again with the one shot.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, read about that today, but thanks for the info.
Tricks everywhere!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

Post by sladey »

DustyM wrote:I haven’t read it but has this been biased by all the issues with the Taycan?

I was due to have my gt4 serviced next week but it’s been put back to feb because they have so many issues with recovered Taycans - they are clearing all services from the diary next week
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

What issues are the Taycans suffering is it cold wether related?
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

My ex Dem 718 was a nightmare. Turbo failed, heater fan failed (VW problem for years) battery failed, stone chips all down each side in a year. Porsche didn’t fit a protective coating, software stopped demisting of driver’s side window, indicator switch failed etc. I got so fed up with it I went back to Merc and traded it for C300 AMG Cabriolet.

I’ve had three C class and two problems. Wrongly adjusted micro switch kept bonnet light open on and a failed chip stopped passenger window opening.

I bought a 10 year old, 15,000 mile 981S in perfect condition and I’ve done 1500 miles. It’s a lovely car, doesn’t handle or go as well as a 2L 718, but engine is quieter, adaptive suspension better and multi adjustable seat too.

So far the engine mounts failed, £2,500, battery failed £168 (not OEM but longer guarantee), heater fan stopped, works if prodded, but about £900 if replaced by Porsche and a service £900.

Merc on Service agreement £35 per month and 4 new tyres. Similar mileage to both late Boxsters.

The 987 had many more problems by 58,000.

As I understand it, anything pre 981/991 has lots of expensive issues because they’re not as well corrosion protected, because of bore scoring and IMS issues.

I love the 981, but I’m apprehensive of future issues. VW is ailing, propped up by government and $193 billion in debt, overweight management expenses etc, Porsche and Ducati are for sale etc.

I believe Mercedes might be the only really successful German company in the top 20 world’s most valuable and it shows. The endless arrival of new or advanced technology etc. A 2 litre 4 giving 470bhp in the new S Class for example.