1949 Humber town bike restoration

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

1949 Humber town bike restoration

Post by hot66 »

Mick Cliff wrote:Just the opposite James (hot66)! The LH/RH threads are so the pedals unscrew if the pedal bearings seize, so it doesn't snap your ankle!
Never knew that … Shows how much thought I put it into them… learn something new every day and I’ve been removing pedals for 40 years ! :lol: Was that a fixed wheel thing ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Re: 1949 Humber town bike restoration

Post by Mick Cliff »

hot66 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:38 pm
Mick Cliff wrote:Just the opposite James (hot66)! The LH/RH threads are so the pedals unscrew if the pedal bearings seize, so it doesn't snap your ankle!
Never knew that … Shows how much thought I put it into them… learn something new every day and I’ve been removing pedals for 40 years ! :lol: Was that a fixed wheel thing ?
From VeloNews....
Pedals could be threaded the way they are in order to self-tighten them, or as a safety measure to prevent injury in the case of frozen bearings.
If you think of the days of penny-farthings, the high-wheeler bicycles that were common from 1869-1890, a frozen pedal that did not unscrew could be fatal.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bike is almost totally stripped down now, bottom bracket came out easy even, but 2 other screws used to hold the back brake stirrup guides in place needed mole grips.

So far, one screw head drilled off and 2 mangled heads by mole grips.

Mudguards are really rough, not sure what to try yet. Metal id really thin and the curves are compound to say the leased and quite complex for my meager skills.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bike now torn down.
The chrome pile has been combed through to minimise it, and I've found various period pattern parts too, 2 new 26" Westwood rims, new for £10 each.
Need to get the frame/forks and gauds done while the weather is ok, and have found a set of v good mud guards, no rust.
Will get the grit blast cabinet ready this weekend for lots of blasting in the garden if it stays dry.

Re-lacing the wheels should keep me busy or turn me insane...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Lacing bike wheels is a piece of cake - used to do all my time-trial rims in front of the TV. I had a very understanding mum...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI 911hillclimber

dont forget to strip the rear hub and check the gear wheels inside, I take it there is still 4 gears in there, or has some one swaped out the rear wheel for a 3 speed, the pawl springs usualy rust away and from what I remember there are 2 or 4 in there, or should be

regards mike
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The Older I Am the less patient I am..

Mike, I think the loss of 2 speeds may be the selector. The spring that locks the position seems to be lacking in location and the lever is far from located, it all moves around as if the pivot is missing.
Need to save it as it is original to the bike.

I need to release 70 odd spoke nipples as I want to preserve the stainless original spokes, this afternoo'ns task. They have been there since 1949.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
stevenery
DDK Fanatic

Post by stevenery »

What a nice project! I will be interested to know how much the cost of chroming is if you go down that route rather than good used parts as I have a stripped down BSA needing similar levels of restoration. Quite like the Humber Sport posted earlier too. I used to work in a cycle shop and many of us bought older 3-speeds and modified them for commuting - some with rebuilt wheels using modern road hubs, cassettes, and mtb shifters. Others narrower tyres with larger rear sprocket. Great fun keeping up with the hardcore commuters on road bikes wearing lycra
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Pleased to read you are enjoying the 'journey' so far.
Getting responses from platers is near impossible, I will be sending a few more emails with the requested pictures out today.
Going to do a few experiments with chrome paint next week.
All the chromed parts are shot, the handle bar assembly in particular, do one bit and you have to do it all.

Have found a supplier in India who i think supply the trade here and everywhere, but doubt they will deal with me, but will ask.

A full Indian 'Raliegh' handlebar set inc the rod brake levers is around £21, doubt anyone will chrome a set of originals for that.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Spent a few hours in the garage over the last few days looking at all the parts closely.
Looking to the Chrome Box, and it is obvious that on this bike the rear brake parts were all painted black, not a sparkle of chrome (evidence) anywhere. That thins the plating pile down a bit.
What chrome there is on the handle bar 'areas' is very robust, not sure if my grit blast will clean it off, hope to find out next week when the fresh grit arrives.

The current chrome pile is pictured below, time to send this picture to a few local platers for a quote (if they will respond).
I'll try the chrome paint I have too!

There are several brake parts that show no evidence of chrome or paint where other bikes from the period are covered in chrome, any comments?

All the spokes are off the wheels. Every one unscrewed perfectly but most of the nipples are tatty and the slotted heads ground hard, so have ordered 100 new ones, but the spokes look good esp will do when all polished up.
De-greased the two hubs, and they look good. Need to be sure the SA 4 speed hub is ok before lacing the wheels with new rims.

The front wheel has 32 spokes, the rear 40, so have just ordered from Bankrupt Bike Parts (what a company name!) 2 new Westwood rims, brake blocks, tyres with gum coloured side walls.
They sell a lot of parts for these older bikes and the site is good and clear and payment system normal. Will get as much as possible from them.

Sheldon will not respond to emails (which they invite you to use).

Wife has approved of a propane heater for the garage! First time I'll have heating in there since 1978 when we married.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

911hillclimber wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:21 pm
Wife has approved of a propane heater for the garage! First time I'll have heating in there since 1978 when we married.

Be aware (if you aren't already) that propane heaters produce a lot of moisture ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Indeed Andy, no good for painting but for general 'ambience' ideal and fast heat.

Machine Mart do a 3 Kw electric for the pre heat of the spray booth, (plastic tunnel...) for frame painting by rattle can, not sure if economical for general heating but insulation not bad in the garage.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Might even get a chrome quote soon! Might get a rude shock too....

Parts arriving from Bankrupt Bike Parts here in England..
Wheels, gum colour side wall tyres and brake blocks, de rusting fluid, my 'new' mudguards which are as solid as new ones, and some leather restoring fluids for the Brookes saddle.
Spoke nipples here and such like, new ball bearings awaited.
Even the 'lost' grit blast media arrived today, so as soon as it stops raining will get blasting all these small parts.

Going to paint it a rich Royal Blue, rattle can.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Quote for chrome plating arrived this afternoon. £800 + vat plus postage.
No lead time given.
Don't think they want/need the business.

Chrome paint then!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

'Chrome painted' the front lamp surround... bit of a bright silver effect, so not too impressed.
Tried to strip the black paint off the frame and forks, good grief, talk about tough stuff, just what did they use after WW2?

Got my grit blaster going and the air supply pipe ruptured, trip to Machine Mart tomorrow!

Not exactly a productive day in the garage.

Ordered a kit to remove old chrome electrically so I can clean ready for silver painting.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9