1925cc converston

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Re: 1925cc converston

Post by Ignatzcatz »

A question Mr Teague . . .did you actually ride your ordinary on the London to Brighton veteran car run?
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Sadly L-B was not to be, Patrick, my son, who was riding the Ordinary, went over-the-top very shortly after being waved off the startline. Atrocious conditions, and a bit of weak marshaling, combined with a hesitation on his part led him to stop, still In the saddle, with the inevitable consequence that he did a dive onto his palms fracturing his left wrist. So early bath for us this year. Dave and Tim from our gang pressed on, Dave on a 1901 Lea & Francis saftey, and Tim on my 1899 Rudge brakeless fixing road racer. They completed it in truly miserable conditions. Roll on next year. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Bravo to you all
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Winston Teague wrote:Interesting stuff. Making a bespoke flywheel is pretty straight forward. What do you mean by 'flywheel bearing'? W
Sorry, meant the bearing nearest the flywheel (number 1). The WBX crank uses type4 flange which has a bigger OD and that in turn means the bearing has a bigger ID & OD, so the case needs significant modification. That’s just in a type1 case. 356 might be even more significant.

It has been done though (WBX into Type1). My brother had a 1776cc engine with a wbx crank.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’ve an AA piston1725cc conversion on both of my engines. One is an SC and the other a 75bhp version, but with the SC crank and Cam. All on Chinese or German Solexes.

The result is a lovely, smooth, flexible, free revving engine that needs a higher top gear far more than more power. If I were to spend more it would be on the PRS high ratio axle to make motorways a less frantic experience.

IMO a higher rear axle conversion transforms any old car where a more powerful engine doesn’t make a lot of difference in the scheme of things unless you’re entering competition.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

I agree Ashley, a 1925cc motor would really love a high CW&P. This is probably curiosity on my part, I'm not planning an engine rebuild, and if I was I'd probably just do the easy stuff, like 1725cc. But every time I trip over my spare 2.1 WBX I wonder about these questions, and now I know more....W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Re: you 2.1...

Oxyboxer basisc are here... looks like a load of machining and custom work!

https://oxyboxer.wordpress.com/

Has potential to yield considerable power and may be cheaper than a Type IV engine if you can machine yourself?