The cost of filling up your car ...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

The cost of filling up your car ...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Saw this & thought it quite amusing:

https://www.facebook.com/theresa.l.coup ... 9409308664

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Re: The cost of filling up your car ...

Post by 911hillclimber »

That is very funny, but I can see some thinking that way, but...

Made me smile!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

just took delivery of a polestar 2.

cost me 12.82 to fill up on cheap rate electricity (240 miles worth)....not quite as cheap as 2 litres of petrol.

had a 5.0 mustang before, 100 quid per week easy, even if we didnt go anywhere special....

Is the polestar exciting to drive? As my wife says (she really misses the mustang, as do i), it doesnt growl at her....

Dull but worthy, bit like me really....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

electric car costs and practicalities .. something I'm just getting to grips with. Bear in mind my wifes car does around 600 miles per week but most of that within the daily home charge range....

So I've just replaced my wifes company car ( was a BMW 330e ) with an Audi Q4 40 etron.

Last week she had to do a 390 mile round trip to Cambridge for work. Realistic range on a full charge at the moment appears to be just shy of 250 miles so the trip was going to need a charge. She phoned ahead to her meeting place and luckilly they had a charger ( slow ) that was available to their staff but she could use whilst there.

So run down and she had about 60 miles remaining in the tank. Charged during the meeting added about 100 miles so now about 160 miles in the tank now. She then stopped over with a good DDK friend of ours near cambridge and charged for about 8 hours using his 3 pin wall socket !! ( which added bugger all :lol: ) . She did buy him a meal in the pub though which cost more than the electric consumed :lol:

Now the proper charging needed to get he home , she stopped at a 50kw charger at the services and plugged in for 20 minutes and got 11.13kWh of charge at £0.55+vat / kwh ( cost £7.35) . I think the car is doing around 3.4 miles / kwh , so about 38 miles of range of £7.35 . A gallon of petrol is £8.30 ? Her old 330e would have done 40 mpg easilly on that run and her previous 520d would have been even better economy. Electric car in this situation is no cheaper than a normal car.

She got home with 30 miles left in the tank and to be fair this journey was relatively pain free.

Lessons though, you can grab free 'fuel' from people, although it can cost you more in wineing and dining ;)

Electric out on the road is about as expensive as petrol and diesel .

Charging at fast chargers isnt as painful as you think.

My opinion : home charging currently is cheaper , but still not by as much as we think ( domestic cap is £0.34p / kWh) . I reckon with the wall mounted boxes now having to be connected to wifi , they can be remotely monitored and I think eventually this will be used to charge us all 20%VAT on domestic car charging electric , so again it wont be any cheaper than a current
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

So what you are saying is unless you really need a new car then keep the smelly diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

DustyM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:21 am So what you are saying is unless you really need a new car then keep the smelly diesel.
Good summary :lol:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

Bootsy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:44 am
DustyM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:21 am So what you are saying is unless you really need a new car then keep the smelly diesel.
Good summary :lol:
I know I'll be keeping my (far from smelly) Golf 1.6TDI Bluemotion estate for a while: zero road tax, 70+mpg on any decent run, 62-65mpg on most other journeys, cheap insurance... And diesel was £1.50 a litre in France last weekend.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

EV v ICE etc is easy to evaluate from cost/convenience standpoints, and all perfectly valid in the total 'equation', but burning oil and petrol is now a sin.
If you can go EV the air will be better (oil) and CO2 less (save the planet).

BUT, the CO2 aspect of a new electric car in build and shipping is far harder to grapple with and that is the bit that really matters (COP conference).

There is no easy answer is there other than less humans and far less travel.
EV's will be as costly as ICE in a few years time and many will be trapped to EV, just like Gordon and 'oil burners are the way forward', any government will be hunting for any tax payment, and not being green is going to be a gravy train.

2 days ago I saw litre if deisel @ £2.06, Shell local station, VMax stuff. Paid £193 for ordinary stuff.

We growingly use my wife's Skoda Citigo now, 56 mpg, petrol and 5 years old, so could have a good CO2 performance now.
My Skoda Superb diesel 2 litre does 53/55 on a steady run.

So travel costs about the same.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I have a VW iD4 and can’t fault it. I don’t have a home charger and I’ve had the EV for just over a year and done 8000+ miles as a commuter. I’ve spent £54 in total on charging for the year (a trip to Bournemouth from Scotland last Xmas). The rest has been free. I couldn’t even tell you what the price of diesel is now. I got 100% tax allowance on the purchase price up front. I have had to buy one tyre following a blow out (no spare in this vehicle) and a can of tyre sealing foam. Total running costs for the year about £200 and I’m told I could get nearly the full purchase price back on a trade in for a new one. It’s a no brainer.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Sam

Post by Sam »

210bhp wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:48 pm I have a VW iD4 and can’t fault it. I don’t have a home charger and I’ve had the EV for just over a year and done 8000+ miles as a commuter. I’ve spent £54 in total on charging for the year (a trip to Bournemouth from Scotland last Xmas). The rest has been free.
Free how? I’d guess solar but I know where you live. ;)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I'm guessing Mike is taking advantage of this https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/p ... d-network/
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

964RS

Post by 964RS »

Just wait until all the free taxes and incentives to currently have electric go and they start taxing them through the roof when they realise they are using up so much non renewable energy to run the bloody things and the volume of mining for batteries cant keep up anywhere near whats needed to produce them.

It's not that long ago they were trying to get us all into diesel cars as they were so much more economical by slashing road tax on them.

Now they are taxing diesel cars a fortune to go anywhere near a city.

They change their minds more than the wind to whatever sound bite sounds good this week.....and makes money.

Personally I don't think electric vehicles will be the answer for the future....I wouldn't be surprised if by 2030 there is a completely different and better scientific way forward than what's being offered now and we end up with huge wastelands of electric car dumps!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

964RS

Post by 964RS »

The only advantage of electric cars I can see is that it's impossible to bodge repair the oil pipes!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hot66

Post by hot66 »

964RS wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm The only advantage of electric cars I can see is that it's impossible to bodge repair the oil pipes!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

210bhp

Re: The cost of filling up your car .

Post by 210bhp »

Charging is free in Scotland at the government chargers, ChargePlaceScotland. There are currently about 2500 charge points and expanding. I have 8 close to my work (a town with a population of 7000) and two about 400yards from the house (a village with a population of 550) so it’s just not worth having a home charger even with a grant to install. Why would you use your own payable electricity? Kudos to the Scottish government for making it so easy and very local. You have to buy a £25 enrollment fee (which my car dealer kindly included with the car) and you get a credit card and an app on your phone either of which can be used to activate any charger. The car does about 300 miles in the summer and 220 in the winter on a full charge which does me all week even if I don’t top up. I charge once a week overnight at the weekend at home or all one day when at work. It takes about 5 hours to fully charge. I do have PV panels at home but leave them to generate my feed in tariff.

Here’s the app,

Scotland seems to be ahead of the game at this point but how long free charging will last is anybody’s guess. So far so good.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/