Engine number mystery!

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

ollieg
DDK slapper chatter

Engine number mystery!

Post by ollieg »

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for a while having sold my 914 projects a while ago. I did hang onto an engine & gearbox and a set of Webers with the aim of one day building a 718 Replica. Well - I can't see myself doing that now either - gulp! I'm now more into more affordable 2-wheel human-powered vehicles... :roll:

Anyway, I'm readying the engine etc to sell and I cleaned where the number should be to read it but, weirdly, someone, way back when, has removed the number with a grinder!

When I bought the project back in 2011, the guy told me the engine came out of his Euro 914 that he wrecked and the body he was selling was from the US - he had intended to swap it over but then changed his mind. I'm 90% sure it's a 2.0l and it's been sitting since then (still turns and still has windscreen chippings in some of the nooks!) but I never bothered checking the number when I bought it as I had intended to put a 6cyl in the car anyway. I can see 'GB' stamped elsewhere on the case (implying it's a euro engine I think?) but not the engine number itself..

Why would someone grind the number off(or shouldn't I ask!)?..and does it matter?

Thanks.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Engine number mystery!

Post by Nine One One »

Why would someone grind the number off(or shouldn't I ask!)?..and does it matter?

I think most would guess why