That Vestey car….

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Re: That Vestey car….

Post by TimB »

What a great find, really looking forward to following this project
Tim
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Great story but intrigued to see what comes back after blasting
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

What a fabulous find! Great it has been saved and lovely history too. Good work.
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The start of a great story !

It just shows that there are still cars out there waiting to be 'discovered' ...

Paul Vestey was a very well-known privateer back in the '60's & '70's - I saw him race many times over the years - mainly in Ferraris but occasionally in an E-type &, briefly, a Lotus Elite.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

A fantastic find! But what about the 924 Turbo, you didn't leave it behind did you?
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

bjmullan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:34 am A fantastic find! But what about the 924 Turbo, you didn't leave it behind did you?
Both of those are still there, along with the white 912. There’s certain logistical issues in play there that are ongoing 🤔
@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles
6 miles of mig wire :lol:
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

The shell should be returning from blasting today, hopefully it arrives on a trailer not in a Jiffy bag :lol:

I have been chatting to Robert Barrie about this car a lot as he owns LGK6D, he’s been giving me a lot of helpful advice. He took an interest in the mention of a race at Snetterton so went investigating further. He managed to find a program from the Whitsun cup car races on 30th May 1966. The car and driver are listed in it! To date this makes this the earliest documented race of a 911 in the U.K. 😳 It’s possible that 1 other car raced earlier but there’s no evidence of that, and the owner of that car was busy racing his 904 at this time.

Astounding to think that if I hadn’t known about the AFN records at PRS then this history would likely have been lost to the past, and just an age related plate put on the car!
@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Hi Dai, as you say, many thanks to Mike Smith for liberating the relevant sales records from the dead hand of the Frazer Nash Archive. I imagine there is more information there if only we were able to access it. I have sought to engage with the Trustees on several occasions, but found them to be utterly disinterested and obstructive. It's a crying shame
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

Thank you again for all your help Robert, looking forward to parking next to you as soon as it’s feasable! 8)

She’s back from the blasters! Still a lot of decent metal left on there with the usual areas peppered such as floors, rear seat wells, rear shelf, but overall it’s in better shape than I’d thought it would be!

The jig mounts were made to factory drawings and have had another of my shells on there for test fit beforehand, pleased to say that it lines up well with only the rear engine mount sections being 5mm out,which we knew from the way it had been dragged backwards by the rear valence!

You’ll notice evidence of old repairs and some braiding action going on, along with the incorrect front panel that was dropped in at some point. All will be rectified in due course!
@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles
sladey

Post by sladey »

Looking forward to this one - keep the pics coming
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Team Pacemaker
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Team Pacemaker »

Fantastic!… you couldn’t want a cooler history than that!! And to have some original pictures of it being raced to! Brilliant…
Can you get the original reg back though?
1968 lambretta sx200 (230cc ts1)
1964 lambretta li150 pacemaker (225cc)
1963 lambretta li150 s3 (rt185cc)
1968 lambretta lui 50cl
1983 porsche 924 na
On going Projects-1958 lambretta s1 framebreather 150 (225)
1973 lambretta jet 200
1969 porsche 911T
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

MarkB-911T wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:00 am Fantastic!… you couldn’t want a cooler history than that!! And to have some original pictures of it being raced to! Brilliant…
Can you get the original reg back though?

I’m on it with DVLA and the Porsche club, they’re happy with the supporting evidence and papers I’ve got, so just got to go through that process 😎
@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles
Team Pacemaker
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Team Pacemaker »

Brilliant news!… I know the dvla can be buggers if you haven’t got the old buff logbook etc. your lucky you have the porsche club paperwork trail, great detective work!- as you say it could have all been lost in the mists of time had you not done the digging
B)
1968 lambretta sx200 (230cc ts1)
1964 lambretta li150 pacemaker (225cc)
1963 lambretta li150 s3 (rt185cc)
1968 lambretta lui 50cl
1983 porsche 924 na
On going Projects-1958 lambretta s1 framebreather 150 (225)
1973 lambretta jet 200
1969 porsche 911T
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

I know that there’s some keen eyes looking out for afterblaster pics, so I’ll stick some on here out of the 50 or so I’ve received :lol: It’s not as bad as I’d expected to be honest! Pretty pleased with how it’s turned out! Take a look—-

@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles
streetwagens
Married to the DDK

Post by streetwagens »

Next up is some jigging, poking, pulling and pushing, slicing and dicing… and of course a LOT of measuring!

In the background while all this is going on I am sorting parts on various tracks of the build. I’ve almost got a complete OG interior sorted, also sourcing the last bits for a stock engine build (although I’m tempted to head towards a more 906 style build if anyone can forward me the specs!)

Need to assemble the racks so I can pick up all the bits I’ve dug out from neat little piles all over the floor of the workshop :lol:
@Barnwest

Searching for:
‘65 4 screw horn grilles
‘65 door handles