The after 356 road trip fixes

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: The after 356 road trip fixes

Post by neilbardsley »

News is it's needs a full rebuild and rewind. Never rewound from original. Only had a clean and new bearings last time. I must of misheard the chap that rebuilt it but I'm sure I remember him saying he had been told it was worn as a 12v so had to be reworn to 6v.

Com unevenly worn and some oil on it

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I drilled holes in the black band to allow heat out. This was after seeing that Ian Clark had louvres in his! I'm not that skilled or cool so I had to drill. Now Im thinking that maybe oil is getting in so I need to seal up again. Either I find a replacement band or out a filter on? This material is safe to 100c. Would that be a silly idea as I'm adding a fire hazard to an engine? The oil gets to 100c but would the Dyno?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hvac-air ... lsrc=aw.ds

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I would think that Ian Clark's mod would be for a race-spec engine where the engine (& hence dynamo) spends a alot of its time at/near max revs.

I'd ask the people who are rebuilding your dynamo if they can supply a used band - I'm sure it's a part that's common to many Bosch dynamos ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Cracked washer removed and replaced. On the left the washer that got us back from Hamburg Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

New 2 hole CSP pulley fitted. The old one was in pretty good condition and the gasket I put on was pretty clean so I'm not sure this is the cause of my oil leak. Someone had balanced the old one. Maybe Harry's machinist. I didn't balance the new CSP one let hope they are balanced by the factory Image

Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Hi Neil,

A bit late to this, but I have spent quite a bit of time playing with dynamos and voltage regulators on my 356 when I was restoring it, and immediately after.

The basic test of the dynamo is to motor it, and for that you need to connect the D+ and the F terminals together, and with the fan belt off, connect the 6v+ from the battery to the D+ on the dymano, and it should run in the direction that it runs when the belt is connected up in the car.

The other dynamo test is to run the engine, spinning the dynamo, but with the dynamo disconnected from the VR, and with the D+ and F tied together again. At tickover, the dynamo should be putting out around 6v between the D+ and earth. This voltage will rise rapidly to 20+volts, as the engine revs increase. However, don't leave the engine running like this, as dynamos don't like being run this way. Just run it long enough to test whether everything is operating properly.

A potential 356 gotcha is that you have to make sure that the VR and the dynamo are rated with similar current throughputs. I had a '54 date stamped dynamo, and a late model 50a rated voltage regulator. I didn't know what I was looking at with dynamos, and just ran with what came with the car from the USA. It all worked fine initially, as the dynamo worked, and the charging state measured 7. something volts indicating the VR was good. The problem came when I was on the motorway, coming back from Goodwood, 6 months or so later. it was dark, I had the wipers, lights and the radio on, and the current pulled by the VR melted the solder on the dynamo's commutator. Fortunately, I was able to still run the car, with the red generator light on, and the battery discharging for about 50 miles to make it home.

Since then, I have put a resettable 30a fuse in line between the D+ on the dynamo and the VR, and replaced the dynamo with one which is age appropriate for the car, and aside from the odd adjustment tweak has been good for many thousands of miles now.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Dyno back and rebuilt. It appears the regulator was adjusted incorrectly. I probably did that trying to fix it.

Fan back on. I will fit tomorrow. I spent most of the morning working on another car.Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I was too tired last Sunday to fit the rebuilt generator so I started yesterday. I had put the fan cover on the wrong way around so it took me a bit to figure out that I had done wrong. Pretty bloody clear the cover can only go on one way once I had it correct. I was losing light so I decided to finish the next day.

Unfortunately my mistakes continued. After I got everything back together and started the car the red light started on. So no charge from the generator. I wasn't happy because the place that rebuilt it said they had tested the generator and regulator together. I connected DF to earth and got up to 9v. Therefore I decided it must be the regulator so I swapped back in my solid state regulator but still not charging. Now I really wasn't happy and had to go for a walk with the dogs to step away from the problem.

I decided to check the wires I had also changed and it appears I hadn't crimped on the connector for the DF wire well done so it had pulled out. A lesson for the future. Always check the resistance in new wires and connectors.

All working again and I swapped back in the original mechanical regulator. The solid state regulator will be used as a road share.

Only the spring to go back on the door latch now
ImageImage

Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Neil,

Save yourself all the grief and Solder everything
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I had thought about that but my in car soldering skills aren't great. Maybe that is something else I need to practise.

I forgot to say new pulley and stand gasket, from PRS, in too.

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Soldering in the car can be tricky if the soldering iron is not powerful enough. I use a gas soldering iron (Aldi best ) outside as there is plenty of heat available to go into the joint and not losing the heat to atmosphere.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

These are the ones you want, there are others available, but it just gives you an idea.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-mini-sold ... 2497937000
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I finally got the driver's side door latch working. I had to undo some of the other door to have a look where the spring went. It was in a different position from some of the pictures I had seen. It's very hard getting the bottom part of the spring attached. I'm not sure it's on correctly so I will tak for a test drive to see it attached properly before putting it all back together Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Test drive and all back together just before I lost the light. I was looking forward to a proper drive tomorrow but then another problem happened. Which I can't explain until it's fixed.

The last few weeks have been one unexpected cost after another. New boiler, 914 oil leak, bicycle stolen, car failed MOT, dog decided to jump into barbed wire twice, family members demanding money. I'm waiting for a break Image