The after 356 road trip fixes

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

The after 356 road trip fixes

Post by neilbardsley »

1) drivers latch not working. Turns out to be the retaining spring which broke. It's a bit tricky to see where it goes back on and the manual isn't helping much. It also appears you have to be careful about where the long/screws go in the door card.

2) odometer not working. Looking at that now. I found the trip reset. Does the trip affect the odometer?

3) left rear axle loose. Tighten in Hamburg but washers on order from PRS and backup nut

4) Generator not working.Image

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: The after 356 road trip fixes

Post by jeremyg »

You did well to get back Neil! Hope it didn’t ruin your holiday too much. I’ve come back from France in a hire car before when my (at the time) 993 let it’s engine go in mid France. The RAC bought it home on a truck. ‘Repatriation’ they call it.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Odometer removed. It will be sent to jdo in Yorkshire for a service/repair

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

jeremyg wrote:You did well to get back Neil! Hope it didn’t ruin your holiday too much. I’ve come back from France in a hire car before when my (at the time) 993 let it’s engine go in mid France. The RAC bought it home on a truck. ‘Repatriation’ they call it.
That is what I was worried might happen from Hamburg!

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I bought some generic springs but I don't think they are strong enough. Also I tried to guess where they should connect and failed. I think it's pretty clear where one side hooks. Highlighted in the red on the right. Now looking at the photo maybe the otherside hooks on the left where I have draw red around?Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Got the generator/ regulator working. I cleaned and moved the points in the regulator closer.

Plus changed the oil and cleaned the slump plate

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Bought some springs and a solid state regulator today

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Get service from JDO. Email today to say Speedometer fixed/serviced. £125 including postage. I might have it back to fit this weekend

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

neilbardsley wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:14 pm Get service from JDO. Email today to say Speedometer fixed/serviced. £125 including postage. I might have it back to fit this weekend

have to say I heard mixed reports about JDO, but they turned around my rev counter in 3 days when I changed to electronix dissie
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I've used them 3 or 4 times and all good so far

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Fitted rebuilt Speedo and 6v solid state regulator. I changed the DF wire (which had a fault in the plastic and ground wire. Tomorrow door spring and new washer. The pulley will be for another day.ImageImageImage

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Car now all set for another adventure, Neil ;)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Not quite unfortunately. I was only getting 3v from the generator. I've taken off and noted that bushes are almost worn. I'm trying to decide if to just replace the bushes and try again or take apart?

If I apply positive 6v to the body and the negative to the d+ I guessing my generator should turn?

On a small positive when I tried to remove the generator pulley nut I found out that I had cracked my 36mm. This is because I tried to use it to tighten the axle nut in Denmark ImageImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I fitted the new bushes and tried to test but nothing. However, they were a little long so I put the old bushes back on and got a tiny move. I was tempted to take it apart but decided to get it looked at

This morning the Dyno and regulator have come on the train with me to London. Tomorrow I will take it to Robson and Francis who are often used by many people involved in rebuilding these. Rob, from Broadway, had it rewound there and the spare starter I have was sent there for a repair the local chap couldn't do.

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Cycled back to Streatham last night to drop of the Dyno. I knew I was at the right place when someone was holding another Dyno body when I arrived. Hopefully news today on what is wrong