Mashed flywheel ring gear

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Mashed flywheel ring gear

Post by gav p »

At the Shere Hillclimb the other day my car developed a horrendous screeching noise when cranking on the starter, but ran perfectly once started. I suspected the starter itself might be on the way out, although it did continue to work all day inspite of the noise.

Having just pulled it today, i’ve found a broken tooth on the flywheel ring gear. Clearly an engine-drop required to replace the ring gear. However, am a little concerned about whether there may also be something amiss with the starter too, in order to cause the damage in the first place. A single broken tooth doesnt really seem consistent with the more continuous screeching it was emitting during cranking.

Anyone here bench-tested a starter motor? This one looks ok on the face of it - its a high torque version by “hi-performance of America” which I fitted about 12 yrs ago. I’d like to be sure it doesn’t eat the next ring gear for lunch too though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Mashed flywheel ring gear

Post by gav p »

Starter gear looks ok to me

Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

… although a bit of tooth damage is apparent when you zoom in

Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes you can bench test the starter. Lots of videos on YouTube showing how to connect it. The gear should move forward and spin

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

IMHO there will be little wrong with the starter, just the lead-in form of the teeth.
There are various UK based manufacturers of these starters who could help i think, can't recal the name now but I and Andy Lightweight have them and I'm sure many others.
Give them a call tomorrow?
The drive train has to come out of course and a fresh ring installed. I've never seen a ring fain mind like that and my 3.2 starter ring has 140+K miles on it and so a lot of 'starts'
I would think the lead in flats on each starter gear is quite critical to engagement.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm sure Graham you are right... but starter motors seem to have been the bane of my life (one of many perhaps :lol: ). One of the problems is where the pinion for whatever reason doesn't throw out and engage well enough. Then it wears, engages less and gets into a vicious circle.
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

Thanks folks - agreed: I think this is an issue with the profile on the nose of each tooth on the starter pinion. It seems to have a flat face which cant be helping to engage the ring gear in a mechanically sympathetic way…. I’m quite sure the original Porsche pinion would not have created such damage.

I’d love to see the tooth profile on the stock Porsche starter pinion, but unfortunately i sold mine a decade ago - moral of the story: never get rid of anything!

Currently in process of removing engine and gearbox. I think i have a spare ring gear somewhere, but i dont want to refit the current starter. I wonder if its worth attempting to replace the pinion? Will do some research on alternative starter options too

Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Here's a case in point. Caterham xflow starter that wasn't throwing out properly. New pinion fitted and hopefully it'll work ok. The motor has had a rebuild too with a lightened flywheel and new ring gear. One of the problems is to see whether it engages cleanly or not when it's used...
ImageIMG_20220108_123959 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

Mmm, not pretty. Was it straightforward to obtain another pinion?

Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Yes very easy
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I should add that was for a Lucas starter motor
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

On the Powerlite website i see that their starters have a couple of different bevels on the tooth edges. See pic here. Subtly different from mine. I’ve also seen comments on Andy Prill’s website, where he sells Powerlite starters, that flywheel damage has been a recognised issue with some other aftermarket starters.

Tempted to try the Powerlite.

Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Looking at the photos of yours and the powerlite one, the two bevels look very similar to me.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I think the squealing might have been the starter motor bearings as the motor teeth crashed over that broken flywheel tooth.

That tooth obviously had a microcrack in it, which has grown throughout years of normal operation, and now failed.

In my opinion, your existing starter is not going to do any harm to the new flywheel, so you could safely give it a try and see how it sounds before opting for a new one... just my opinion :cyclopsani:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Fwiw
Agree with above.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9