904 bargain of the year

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

904 bargain of the year

Post by KS »

Been in a collection for 28 years. 911 motor (as many now have), but well below expectations at Bonhams yesterday...

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
veryporky
DDK forever

Re: 904 bargain of the year

Post by veryporky »

It's for RS money, probably a one off situation??
Keith
Jonnydaz53
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Jonnydaz53 »

“If it's too good to be true, it probably is”
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Well, one of the 'problems' with a 904 is that, in terms of historic racing, it's no longer competitive, as it finds itself on the grid alongside Cobras and the like. So if you want to race competitively, it's not the obvious choice. It's also a problematic car if involved in an accident - again, Cobras and cars of a similar ilk are relatively 'easy' to repair, whereas 904s, with their bonded-in chassis, are not. A major problem with 904s which have sat unused - or may have abused - for a long period is chassis corrosion, which may not be obvious until an extensive rebuild is undertaken. So, buying what could be considered an unknown quantity from a collection could either be the bargain of a lifetime, or become a very expensive exhibit in another collection. You roll the dice...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Quite a fun gamble, for those with the means!
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

:bom: From what I understand with the 904, hopefully someone could correct me, was that the 904 much like the 718 before it was built for the weakness in the technology of the time. So whilst the larger more powerful cars it was racing against would consume more fuel/tires/brakes and break due to mechanical factors. The 550/718 and 904 would keep on lapping, being leaner than the other sports cars of the time.
Now this is no longer a factor it makes racing a 904 against something like this a bit of a farce given that this E-type laps Goodwood at the same pace as a Lola T70 did in the 60s.
Scene tax