7045 to H1 transition date

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

911MRP
DDK above all

7045 to H1 transition date

Post by 911MRP »

I was in discussing with Mike on another forum about when the 7045 Bosch headlights transitioned to H1 for RHD. I believe it is generally accepted the H1 first appeared (outside USA market) with the model 68 but that year’s 911S only.

Several questions from the discussion with Mike:

1) Did the RHD H1 exactly coincide with the new model year S or is it possible to be more precise? Is there any documentation or evidence from well preserved cars that suggest 7045 were still used in S after 68S launched

2) What RHD headlamps did non-S get in for model 68? When did they change?

Not my usual era of interest but I happen have two pair of original H1 one set RHD and one set LHD long stored former property of known racer who passed a few years ago. From different source also have an earlier type RHD (Bosch part on stocker ends 505) single lamp all metalwork there but it’s without its 7045 lens.

Neither are relevant to my car. Before I sell them just trying to establish facts as had an enquiry from someone with a 67 RHD for some of this stuff.

72/3 is more my era of interest so I know for a fact from Porsche own documentation the H1 was succeeded by H4 in some markets in March 1972 not a model year transition. Since that wasn’t at all model year transition makes me wonder was 7045 to H1 was exactly aligned to model year in practice?

Figured this forum might know more than me about 7045 to H1 or folks here will have RHD cars from that time with enough originality to at least approximate the dates these the first RHD change happened. What headlight was on the motor show car as assume that was early model 68?

Less immediately interested in LHD as prospective purchaser’s enquiry isn’t about those but facts might emerge.

Didn’t normally sell my old stuff but he approached me. I suspect the potential buyer would need my incomplete 7045 earlier headlamp and my RHD H1s are later than his 67 but trying to get more facts of folks know?

Cheers
Steve