Classics at the Castle

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Classics at the Castle

Post by 964RS »

Most car shows now charge a nominal fee or no fee for people to display their car if booked in advance. That guarantees the show attendance and an actual show.

They then charge more if you want to turn up on the day and display or are just a member of the public coming to see others cars.

Seems the right way to go about things to me. Especially if people are having to drive to the backend of nowhere to show their car for the day.

Personal opinions on what is actual value will vary from person to person….and that will also vary considerably depending on the weather on the day!!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Perhaps we should be a bit more realistic about the true cost for many people who have to travel to attend CatC.

For instance, I’d be coming up to CATC from the Autumn Classic at Castle Combe - it’s not worth returning home west before retracing my steps back up east the next morning, so that’s an overnight in Essex for a start. Factor in that cost, meals and the gas, and you really have to want to go to an event to make it worth it these days, cost wise. It’s not just 25/30 quid for many of us is it?

And there’s the rub. I found CatC pretty exciting in my early days of Porsche ownership, but those absorbing days of discovery and learning are pretty far off now - I’m one of the old farts too. But it’s also what I call a static event, with, to me, over-familiar types of cars and all the limitations that single brand displays bring.

From my point of view the Scramble’s multi layered approach featuring so many delightful motors from right across the motoring world is quite simply more exciting, with a far more eclectic mix of cars and people. Every time I go I seem to strike up great unexpected conversations.

I’m not trying to diss CATC, it’s more about where I’m at than any shortcomings of it’s own, and I appreciate a lot of work goes into it.

Anyway, in a flush of excitement earlier in the year I’ve bought a ticket for CATC through PCGB, 25 quid with KG parking, and as Jason says, I reckon whether I in the end go or not will be very much weather dependent, because it would be nice if it was both an enjoyable long motorway drive and event too.
VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by VeeRacer »

Really looking forward to the event. Haven’t been since back in 2015 when Fred was kind enough to do a little memorial speech on behalf of my Dad who had recently passed away. Will be the first time the 356 has been to the event as Dad historically (& famously) always took his camper van so he could set his stall up and sell parts.
Attachments
E724D0A1-231C-4D3F-87D0-17C5A5636558.jpeg
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Honestly I think £30 for any event is fine. It's certainly less than the cost of petrol to drive, then buying a sandwich. We aren't going this year because we are away. I personally get a little fed of seeing the same cars each year. However, it's great to catch up with everyone and I'm happy to pay £30 but don't get me started on the cost of the 356 internationals. That is more like £4k for 2 people to park with other cars in front of a hotel. Makes CATC a super bargain

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

neilbardsley wrote:don't get me started on the cost of the 356 internationals. That is more like £4k for 2 people to park with other cars in front of a hotel. Makes CATC a super bargain

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImage Funny …. But so true.
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Scramble is £18 for driver and £18 for passenger so £36 total v £30 for driver & passenger at CatC with £5 PCGB discount. Plenty of other events charge a similar amount to park in a field (sure Boxengasse was £25 this year), but as stretch and Billy Bean have said, it’s much more than that. Obviously I much prefer to see some racing or go on a rally, but nothing wrong with meeting up in a field with like-minded friends for a chat while admiring at some nice cars.
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Was it a viva Kirk?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Just for info, I am helping put on a small display of RHD SWB 911s at Classics at the Castle. The main display will feature some 50 or so Carrera RS’s and the like, but we will show where it all started. It's possible some of the cars will be familiar to some of you, but there will also be one or two that are being seen for the first time in this setting. Best, Robert
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

210bhp wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:16 pm Was it a viva Kirk?

Regards
Mike
Yes unfortunately Mike as it rusted quickly
but fortunately got written off after being rear ended. Had a Blydenstein (sp?) conversion a year after purchase to give the 1200cc a whopping 102 BHP. Lowered suspension and 5" wide wheels. Can't say I missed it when it was gone.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

one-two wrote:Just for info, I am helping put on a small display of RHD SWB 911s at Classics at the Castle. The main display will feature some 50 or so Carrera RS’s and the like, but we will show where it all started. It's possible some of the cars will be familiar to some of you, but there will also be one or two that are being seen for the first time in this setting. Best, Robert
Thanks Robert. Best of luck - and hopefully good weather.
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

one-two wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 pm Just for info, I am helping put on a small display of RHD SWB 911s at Classics at the Castle. The main display will feature some 50 or so Carrera RS’s and the like, but we will show where it all started. It's possible some of the cars will be familiar to some of you, but there will also be one or two that are being seen for the first time in this setting. Best, Robert
Thanks for the heads up Robert, hope to be there and will be interested to see the swb display, is my old 67S part of the display?
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

MarkIII wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 pm Thanks for the heads up Robert, hope to be there and will be interested to see the swb display, is my old 67S part of the display?
Definitely maybe Mark! Also hoping for a Rallye Kit 67S and one of the RHD TRs - 8 or 9 RHD SWB cars in total
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

A RHD TR? Very nice!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Sam wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:43 pm The world’s gone very wonky value-wise.

You can almost get two families of 4 into the Porsche museum for the price one ticket to CATC.

Ecstasy has reached parity with a single pint in a lot of the trendy bits of London.

My corner shop just put refreshers up from 10p to 15p.

It’s all going to end badly.
I think this needs testing, can you get the child you left outside to tell us about how the rest of the group found the Porsche Museum experience whilst up to their eyeballs on Es please? It sounds more 'maverick' than paying 30 quid to park in a field in Essex.....W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

The subject of paying just to show your car annoys me somewhat as well but it is what we do because we own nice, rare and desirable motor cars and we love to show them off. I do have an excellent alternative which is my local classic car club - 'Sadcase' which is an acronym for Storrington and district classic and sportscar enthusiasts. There is NO annual membership fee, a basic committee, close on 2000 members and the statement of the club is if you like it then so do we. You can't say fairer than that and we have big meets throughout the year, twice monthly pub meets and amongst a few Morris Minors and such there are some stunning motor cars to check out which does make a nice change from 100% Porsches. However, I've paid me money and I will be at CatC so I'll see you all there.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail