O/T! Is my PC too old?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

O/T! Is my PC too old?

Post by 911hillclimber »

I type this on my Lenovo PC i think purchased with Windows 10 in 2010.

It has an Intel Pent R/ 2.6 GHz, 64 bit processor
Ram is 4 Gb and is about 50% taken over these 12 years.
Generally very reliable.

However, this last 2 or 3 months it is very slow to open any thing, DDK takes around 20 seconds, Mozilla (email system) takes 30 secs to open and generally everything seems slow and getting slower. Some simple emails with nothing attached can take 1 minute to transmit.

Can't remember when I last cleared cookies (if that is relevent), it has Chrome etc but is getting irritating.

Time for something more modern and if so will this speed things up considerably?
We are not on full 'to the house' fiber, only fiber to the big box at the estate.

Any advice welcome, I am not a computer geek.
Graham.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Re: O/T! Is my PC too old?

Post by neilbardsley »

That that is taking too long. 4g of ram should be enough but W10 is rubbish. I suggest refraging your hard drive. Increase your page file to the max allowed. Look in task manager for any unwanted programs running in the back ground. A computer needs free ram and a processor that isn't busy to load a web page like DDK. You need to check that these are available before you start

If in doubt save any important data/photos and do a factory reset?

Forgot to add your WiFi might be slow and causing issues. Chrome has a WiFi speed test so maybe your browser does too. Should be 20+ mbs

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks Neil, not sure I feel I have the capability to do all that!
Maybe a trip to the local computer repair man first!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm quite a fan of breathing new life into into old computers. I've found the software approach to be a painful game of marginal gains.

But I have found that changing the hard drive for an SSD and adding more memory can take make a difference.

The Crucial website has a programme that will give the memory upgrade options. The SSD upgrade is simple to do. Remember to backup content first!

It's unlikely to be economical for the computer shop to do it, but it can be done DIY.
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

I converted my ancient laptops (old thinkpads) to Ubuntu. Great way to extend their life, when they can’t do windows anymore.

I agree with the SSD point.
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

In my experience, over time PCs end up with a lot of clutter in them, usually from programmes loaded unintentionally from web browsing. My 93 yr old father seems to manage to bog down his PC every 3 or so years. What I do, as Graham has mentioned above, is stuck in a new hard drive with a fresh Windows install and Hey Presto it’s like new. I then transfer over his essential files from the old hard drive, which means I can use it for the fresh install when the next flush is required ;)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

That is what I was trying to say :)

"If in doubt save any important data/photos and do a factory reset?"
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

gridgway wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 pm I'm quite a fan of breathing new life into into old computers. I've found the software approach to be a painful game of marginal gains.

But I have found that changing the hard drive for an SSD and adding more memory can take make a difference.

The Crucial website has a programme that will give the memory upgrade options. The SSD upgrade is simple to do. Remember to backup content first!

It's unlikely to be economical for the computer shop to do it, but it can be done DIY.
The change to ssd should make quite a difference and also get as much memory in as you can get.
I have been on macs since I didn't need to use pcs for work and have found them to work well although I have put an ssd in and expanded the memory.
The limitation I have is now the operating system which cannot be upgraded beyond a certain point and I can no longer get the latest upgrades of some software. You may not get this on a PC though.
There are lots of youtube videos to help you upgrade but make sure you have a full backup.
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Before buying any new hard drive you need to see if your main board on the PC has the connections to suit, especially if your PC is more than 5 or 6 year old. Also if your power unit has the capacity to run them. Usually with a shop bought PC they will have room for 1or 2 more hard drives. It might be simplest to get a drive similar to what is already there ( though with a bigger capacity as space is always a bonus), almost certainly there will be power cables to suit and a spare connector on the board to plug into.

PCs are quite simple when you look inside, and generally these days they are Plug & Play, it’s the software that is the trickier bit. But just adding a new hard drive is just a matter of plugging it in and it’s ready to go

It’s more complicated taking a door card off on a 911 :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Door cards I can do In my sleep, pc stuff stops me from sleeping...
There is no way I'm going inside this 12 year old Lenovo

I think I first need to see what is on the unit We no longer use as much was simply carried over from previous pc's

That presumably will open it up a bit, but will it speed things up?

Today, ddk site took a full minute to appear, and 10 secs to get to the forum.
YouTube took 2 attempts to open, last one at least a minute to open.
A few months ago all would open within 5 to 10 secs.

Must do a band speed check, we are on sky.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Really sounds like either your WiFi is slow or you have downloaded something that is slowing your pc so just a factory reset.

Ps I will install new memory for you into your pc, will take 2 min, if you rebuild my engine :). Fair swap?

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Graham, here is my normal broadband speed checker (not restricted to BT I think)
https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If your internet is slow as a dog, you can do something about that. But regarding the PC, if you are nervous about DIY changes (which I understand), I'd buy a new PC. You will faff for ages otherwise.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Neil: ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE. Never want to see a bare crankshaft ever again....

Graham, thanks, gave the following:

Ping 35 ms
Download 31.85 Mbps
Up 5.53 Mbps.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ok WiFi speed is good

KS

Post by KS »

neilbardsley wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:21 pm Ok WiFi speed is good

Really? I get Ping 10ms; download 51.98m Mbps; upload 17.23 Mbps, and this is running slower than usual right now (BT Open Reach).
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel