Authentic-ish Weltmeister 1969 stickers for 1970 cars

Please add Porsche parts and anything you wish to sell here (no commercial sales)

Moderator: Bootsy

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Authentic-ish Weltmeister 1969 stickers for 1970 cars

Post by RobFrost »

I've made a batch of Porsche Weltmeister 1969 stickers (window cling), which are available for £10 plus a stamped addressed envelope (or more if you wish). I've paid the manufacturing cost and any proceeds will go to the charity. I understand these were installed in 1970 cars. These are likely more accurate than you will find anywhere else because most on the market have the chequer on the left (like on later years), whereas I have authenticated these from the period footage of Steve McQueen's 911 in Le Mans, in which you can see the chequer would be on the right, viewed from outside: https://youtu.be/6W_pSQY54NA?t=130 which is the opposite side to the later cars. Also, I've seen 1970 stickers I believe were original having the 1969 around the outside, unlike most modern inaccurate replicas which print it over the chequer like was done on later years.

I was pretty meticulous designing the artwork and I'm fairly confident it will be better than most (any) you find in terms of font and the design of the chequer pattern. I was able to trace a photo of an original including pretty much perfect positioning of the lettering. The colours will not be perfect however as I had these printed with a 4-colour process whereas I suspect the originals used a gold ink - but you'd need to be pretty clued up to spot that.

I also made a few pca stickers simply because I have a USA car - the same will go for the silver ink being grey on that. Also a New Mexico sticker which is an invention based upon a later sticker, in the unlikely event you have a New Mexico car I guess I could part with one.

DM me if interested and I'll ask you to send me a stamped addressed envelope.

Last edited by RobFrost on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Re: Authentic-ish Weltmeister 1969 stickers for 1970 cars

Post by g3ngs2 »

You, sir, are a man with skills.

The PCA one is cool, the New Mexican one even cooler

A long time ago I imported a T from there - the amount of red sand I bailed out of the nooks and crevices of that thing was obscene. The chap also sent me all of his spares - including a pretty much new factory exhaust - which promptly sat on a shelf in the garage and then went on to the current car last month. (It also came with his Los Alamos National Laboratory parking sticker still on the windscreen - I guess back then it didn't matter if people knew you worked at a nuclear weapons facility!)
--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Kudos to you for undertaking the task & donating the proceeds to the DDK Charity ...

For reference, the '69' Weltmeister decals were originally fitted to cars from ~ Feb 1970 onwards.

However, just to clarify, the correct/accurate decals have been available for many years via the Early S Registry.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

g3ngs2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 pm You, sir, are a man with skills.

The PCA one is cool, the New Mexican one even cooler

A long time ago I imported a T from there - the amount of red sand I bailed out of the nooks and crevices of that thing was obscene. The chap also sent me all of his spares - including a pretty much new factory exhaust - which promptly sat on a shelf in the garage and then went on to the current car last month. (It also came with his Los Alamos National Laboratory parking sticker still on the windscreen - I guess back then it didn't matter if people knew you worked at a nuclear weapons facility!)
Too true about the sand. I reckon I've had over a kilo of sand and it keeps coming. Every time I hit something with a hammer, more trickles out of the holes on the bottoms of the sills. I spent 10 minutes on the weekend pulling it out of the areas below the torsion tubes before I permanently close them up. I never thought to check whether it's radioactive!
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.