Rear quarter window seals...

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Rear quarter window seals...

Post by g3ngs2 »

Has anyone who has changed these willing to share their secret for not losing their mind fitting the seals around the rear quarter glass...

Soapy water ... Nope
WD40 ... Not interested
Swearing ... Didn't help

No sooner does one bit go in and you move on then it creeps out

Not that there was anything wrong with old seals but each had a tiny wrinkle in them and as all the other seals are new and for the sake of completeness I thought how hard can it be....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Rear quarter window seals...

Post by Gary71 »

Go in dry. Lube just makes it fall out again!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Put the vertical part on first, then stretch the rubber over the end, then chase the sides in.

I use a combination of violence, a plastic mallet and a plastic trim tool. Still not 100% sure they are fully home, but got it close enough!
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Bollocking arse gravy.... it's exceptionally well lubed at the moment and I was about to go and attack it with even more WD.

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Apart from the WD that's the approach I was trying to take. Do the flat part and the pointy bit and the get the rest in with a trim tool.

Also tried combinations of starting with the left / right side of the seal first.

Based on the advice feels like I need to lose the lube and up the violence

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

Post by Silver911SC »

First bit of advice is to get the right aftermarket brand. I watched the guys at Karmann strip out a new set of cheaper/thicker aftermarket ones, and replace them with better/finer quality ones - because they could spot from a mile that the wrong brand had been used. The whole window just sat in and sealed completely different. I would have assumed they were all the same but they clearly are very different. Think the new ones were URO.
1966 RHD 911 Restoration Project
1988 RHD 3.2 Carrera fully restored with 200k miles
1999 RHD X51 with Factory Recaro Bucket Seats
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Interesting I'll compare the thickness of what came out and what is going in.

Are you saying the finer less hassle version is URO, or they were the ones that they spotted and binned

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Mine are original 1973 seals, and the driver's side is perishing, the other not far behind. What supplier has been the best to buy from please?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I used Porsche seals. There is a left and a right side. Fit the vertical first and hold it in position with a few pieces duct tape across the seal and onto both sides of the glass. Work around the glass duct taping as you go. The tape is not a miracle cure but it helps.
Rust Never Sleeps
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I also used Porsche seals. Still far from easy though!
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Right cracked it... The seals that were in there weren't put in correctly so I was following the wrong pattern. After some more swearing and then checking eBay to see if anyone was flogging the both sides with seals in situ I thought I'd better work it out...

For anyone looking at this down the road... Here's how to fit (perfectly) in under 10 minutes (let's just pretend the "investigatory" first 4 hours never happened Image).

The seals are handed so avoid mixing them up, if you do the vertical edge has a flap - that bit faces to the inside of the car. At the top of that piece is a triangular section

Looks at the seal there are two parts at the business end of things that make contact with the window chrome.

You'll see a short edge and a bit that looks like a flat tyre i.e. bulbous at the end.

The short edge along its length goes on the outside of the chrome i.e. facing into the car. Don't let this go into the groove of the chrome or it fs things up.

The bulbous part goes in to the groove and fills it either side.

Start with a corner of the vertical and get the bulbous part on the groove and the short edge in position all the way around the window chrome.

There are only 3 things that matter. 1 getting it right at each corner. 2. Same with the pointy end of the window 3 Making sure the short edge doesn't fall in to the groove

Start with the top corner of the window pull the seal and seat it as best as you can making sure it's on the corner. Same with the bottom corner. Don't worry you'll get these in snug in a bit.

Whilst you're doing this the seal at the pointy end is going to try and make a run for it. Get it back in place

Next... Take whatever you can find under the kitchen sink.. I used Dettol whatever cleaner. Give the the bulbous part a squirt along its length (you can only get to one side at this point... this should be facing outward from the car).

Give the the top of the seal a squirt too... This is important

Stand above the window looking down at the vertical side. Using your thumbs you're going to want push down on the part above the bulbous bit (it's got three lines on it and your thumbs will know when it's on it as the bulb end against the groove will resist).

Push down hard and when it seats you'll feel it.

Now shove your thumbs down the top edge (that's why you spayed it, so they can move unhindered) pressing as you go seating the full length.

The corners that may not have gone yet on either side. Use the same technique as above.

Make sure the short edge hasn't gone in to the groove of the vertical. (If the bulbous end has seated it can't be in but check anyway as it may have gone in at the corner, if it has fetch it out with a plastic trim tool).

Next go to the top edge of the window. If you're seated it correctly on the vertical edge and corner AND the short edge isn't in the groove this is going to go in quickly.

Making sure the short edge is still facing inward to the car and not in the groove many your way to the pointy end of the window.

It's going to want to pop out from the groove you've rested it on as you're doing the above so you'll want to keep it in place the bit of tape idea came in handy

Now do the same with the bottom edge

If your corners are in square the position of the seal on the pointy bit sorts itself out.

Now do the pointy part. The seal will fight you all day long if you try and stuff it in because of the tension caused by the rest of the seal being in place.

Making sure the short edge is still not in the groove pull the toppest edge of the seal down towards the vertical edge and the bulbous end will fall into the groove.

At the pointy end there may be some ripples in edge of the seal because if how you fitted it and it may not be in the perfect position. Just push the seal in the groove one way or the other and the ripples will disappear

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Excellent!

One of those life skills you master only to never need it again…
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Exactly....

For what it's worth the seals were Dansk about £35 a side from D911... Both packs for the left and right were the same but the seals were slightly different... Assuming one was older stock as the other was much easier to seat, though they look the same once they're in.

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Great instructions. I used a silicone lubricant combined with limited patience and a lot of swearing to get mine in.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Could you do it all again please and video it for the benefit of all?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: