Slow return bonnet catch solution?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

deano
I luv DDK!

Slow return bonnet catch solution?

Post by deano »

Hi guys,

Anyone had this problem and solved it - the catch that moves backwards and forwards, and holds the pin in the latch, returns very slowly after pushing back, and not all the way. The bonnet will only stay down if I hold it down for a few seconds. With the latch removed from the latch panel, it moves freely and easily. The cable is adjusted correctly, the catch is only slightly worn, the pin is perfect - the problem is the slow return...

- was it a case of lubricating inside the bonnet latch tube (the release wire still has the plastic tube though), or a new return spring on the latch itself?

Hope someone can help! cheers, Dean
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Slow return bonnet catch solution?

Post by 911hillclimber »

They can become sluggish. The single cable I think is plastic covered, maybe even PTFE anti friction plastic, but will wear after all these years. The steel 'piano' wire can corrode and friction rises as a result.
Does the cable, free of the slam panel catch slide easily?
The cable pulls right out from the dash end. Check is new is available and if so replace.
You could try pulling the T handle and the wire out and polishing the wire with scotchbrite pad and ptfe spray the wire. Should move easily if not kinked.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Slow return bonnet catch solution?

Post by deano »

It turns out that a slight over-tightening of the wire sorted out the problem to a large extent. Feels like there is quite a lot of friction in the tube though, but looks nice and clean, no rust. I think I'll lube the wire and then put the plastic sleeve back on. Thanks for the great tips! :cyclops:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored