Tapatalk Users please note...

Having site problems then post them here

Moderator: Miggs

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Tapatalk Users please note...

Post by Bootsy »

As part of the ongoing issue with forum uptime and downtime I am going to have to disable Tapatalk for a day to test if it's contributing to the issues.

Having read more about the Tapatalk plug in it's become clear it has some serious security issues and may be causing us problems - so bear with me and if you use Tapatalk please use the new mobile version of the site in the meantime (just visit the forum on your mobile) whilst I investigate this.

It will be disabled later today
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Tapatalk Users please note...

Post by jeremyg »

When I first went back on the site using Tapatalk on mobile, it was all over the place - the issues maybe you’re talking about. Seems to have settled down now though from a user’s perspective. (?) Hope it gets sorted soon - I’ve just left for France and thought I’d post on the journey.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

It’s mainly some inherent issues with Tapatalk which can cause problems - leaving connections open, security etc

So I may have to trial turning it off for a while but let’s see

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Have used the app for years but I’ve noticed sometimes my iphone get unusually warm if the app is open for while. Perhaps coincidence but I do wonder
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I haven't turned it off yet, things are running well in the last 12 hours.

But....

Tapatalk is badly flawed. Despite numerous requests for them to sort out security issues and introduce measure which are in line with data protection laws and best practices they have either ignored or taken for ever to action.

- For example - at one point there was a simple route into reading all Tapatalk User Private Messages - anybody could if they knew how

- The rogue accounts we used to get appear on DDK and usually answer WANTED adverts with email addresses saying they had the part was due to Tapatalks account registration circumventing our own screening. This has been sorted

- Registrants through Tapatalk were automatically made Moderators of many forums!

Just three of many examples.

It's more trouble than it's worth not just for DDK but for users in general but I will preservere and monitor it though as I know many like to use it including myself for ease of image uploading etc.

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

It would be a great shame if it is disabled permanently, I would say 90% of my forum time is through Tapatalk. Over the years other forums I used have turned it off and I now find I rarely visit them.

For all its faults it is a quick and easy way to view the forum from a mobile, and as you say an easy way to upload pictures, especially on road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Yes know what you mean Jon

Will persevere and hopefully a move to a new server will Mean it can stay

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

DustyM wrote:It would be a great shame if it is disabled permanently, I would say 90% of my forum time is through Tapatalk. Over the years other forums I used have turned it off and I now find I rarely visit them.

For all its faults it is a quick and easy way to view the forum from a mobile, and as you say an easy way to upload pictures, especially on road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, almost exclusively Tapatalk (99.9%)

But ultimately if it doesn’t work then bin it.

One question: if we drop it what happens to all the photos we’ve uploaded via Tapatalk? My restoration thread will be almost blank if they go…
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Sure they stay Gary

As if you paste this (for example) in your browser you can view uploads independent of the forum

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202206 ... 7337d3.jpg

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Yes, I tend to post on here then cut and paste the links for my Pistonheads thread. Probably should start a slow rebuild from Flickr before it goes the way of Photobucket though!

Flickr let’s you upload from your phone but annoyingly you can’t grab the correct code for embedding into a forum without a laptop.