Trying to start a '72 2.7 engine in Surrey

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Trying to start a '72 2.7 engine in Surrey

Post by deano »

When starting after a long storage period, I pull all 6 spark plugs to allow the starter to turn the engine freely, and I disconnect the fuel pump supply. I turn the key until it builds pressure on the dashboard oil pressure gauge. Then plugs back in, pump connected, and vroom, first turn of the key... if I don't do this, it sounds just like yours and takes several discharges of the batteries until it finally starts.

I'm not an expert either, but if this priming process doesn't work for you, I would check that I had spark first, at one of the plugs (held near the case, but not by hand), and work backwards if no spark. The whistling sound is normally the CDI box, although some fuel pumps whistle too.

If you have spark, check that you have fuel going in and out of the fuel filter (disconnect one pipe at a time and catch the fuel in a container), then check that the injectors are getting fuel by slackening off the nut on one of them - wrap it with plenty of paper towel to both catch and detect fuel. If no fuel, work backwards (check pump 12V supply etc).

Good luck! :cyclopsani:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

Re: Trying to start a '72 2.7 engine in Surrey

Post by Silver911SC »

deano wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:37 pm When starting after a long storage period, I pull all 6 spark plugs to allow the starter to turn the engine freely, and I disconnect the fuel pump supply. I turn the key until it builds pressure on the dashboard oil pressure gauge. Then plugs back in, pump connected, and vroom, first turn of the key... if I don't do this, it sounds just like yours and takes several discharges of the batteries until it finally starts.

I'm not an expert either, but if this priming process doesn't work for you, I would check that I had spark first, at one of the plugs (held near the case, but not by hand), and work backwards if no spark. The whistling sound is normally the CDI box, although some fuel pumps whistle too.

If you have spark, check that you have fuel going in and out of the fuel filter (disconnect one pipe at a time and catch the fuel in a container), then check that the injectors are getting fuel by slackening off the nut on one of them - wrap it with plenty of paper towel to both catch and detect fuel. If no fuel, work backwards (check pump 12V supply etc).

Good luck! :cyclopsani:
This is really helpful. I have some time next week to spend fettling, so will see f I can follow this :)
1966 RHD 911 Restoration Project
1988 RHD 3.2 Carrera fully restored with 200k miles
1999 RHD X51 with Factory Recaro Bucket Seats