Zenith carburettor rebuild ?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

oldtimer
DDK forever

Zenith carburettor rebuild ?

Post by oldtimer »

Who does carb rebuilds in the UK ?
Last time I had one done it was Solexes at Fenn Lane Motorsport , since Chris Flavell died I am out of touch with them .
Got leaking spindles so new bushings needed
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Zenith carburettor rebuild ?

Post by Ashley James »

I doubt bushes are needed for Zeniths because the throttle bodies are cast iron. Ultrasonic cleaners are cheap and all the parts are available, new spindles and butterflies too. I’d rebuild them yourself carefully following instructions in one of the books.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Please look at the small oblong jet cover rubber gasket before going further. I thought my spindle was leaking until finally I traced the petrol leak from one spindle end of the cast iron base to the jet cover that is directly above the cast iron base. Well worth while looking at that. Spares from Roger Bray or Stoddard or I guess PRS who might suggest a rebuilder if it is a worn bush. And I think it would be bushed not running in plain cast iron. I have always managed to keep the Zenith 32 NDIX carbs running okay never had serious problems.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

As Roy said the jet cover seals are the first port of call. The bolt holding the cover gets overtightened, sometimes cracking the cover, so look out for that. I changed the spindles and butterflies in mine and it made a massive difference.
Float levels are also important, I set mine on the low side to prevent fuel creeping.
If you can search the 356Registry, there is loads of info on there, especially Mike Ruddy's posts and rebuild articles from Ron la Dow.
64 356C
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Gary still has this great resource online if helpful http://suggate.co.uk/zenith/index.htm
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk