Recovering knee pads - remove old vinyl?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Recovering knee pads - remove old vinyl?

Post by RobFrost »

Amy views or experiences on whether it's better to go over the top of the old vinyl or to strip it back first?

Mostly it's worn where the bonnet pull is.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
kitesurfer2
DDK forever

Re: Recovering knee pads - remove old vinyl?

Post by kitesurfer2 »

Best strip it all off and start again
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

needs coming off really.I just stripped mine.I had 2.Its a matter of luck how well the substrate has held up.One was like new,one no good.Its a horse hair type looking padding,on the early cars.Later is foam I believe.Best way is to renforce with fbireglass gel, and use filler for a nice base for new vinyl.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Thanks. I think mine are foam. I don't know if that affects things. I don't want them to disintegrate into nothing!
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I havent re-covered my knee pads but I repaired and re-covered both my door caps (made from the same materials) without removing the old vinyl.

The old vinyl provides a nice smooth surface for the new vinyl cover to stretch across. It is perfectly possible to leave the old vinyl in place as long as the new vinyl is glued down well with contact adhesive to the (roughened) back of the pad (the glue will not stick to the old vinyl, but it will stick well to the foam on the back).

I used (and highly recommend) a Unibond 2-part epoxy to make my repairs (cracks and a missing chunk off one end). Roughen surfaces before, sand smooth after. :blackeye:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

Post by Silver911SC »

Is that the original covering? I was talking to David at Southbound about his earlier today in regards to a dashboard (which is made the same way).

Those kneepads aren't wrapped from factory. If there is a wrap on yours then it's been done afterwards. The original finish is foam over metal, and a thin layer of textured vinyl type material is cut to shape and stretched over the foam and almost melted in to the foam, so non of the edges would ever peel up or come loose. Looks like yours have been wrapped once upon a time to tidy them up, as so many are.

However, if it's original finish and the bonnet pull is the only bit lifting, I'd leave it and epoxy the loose edges down.

Any pictures of the back of it?
1966 RHD 911 Restoration Project
1988 RHD 3.2 Carrera fully restored with 200k miles
1999 RHD X51 with Factory Recaro Bucket Seats
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Silver911SC wrote:Is that the original covering?

Any pictures of the back of it?
Apologies, I missed the notification of your reply.

Based on the replies here I'd say it's original. There aren't much in the way of edges folded over, as you say welded tight to the edge. Only the area around the bonnet pull has come away.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

JSM1965
DDK Fanatic

Post by JSM1965 »

Dash, knee pads, door tops, ashtray are all vacuum sealed. I sent all mine to 'The Dash Doctor' in Australia to get done. Came back perfect
76 C3
73 T long gone
Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

Post by Silver911SC »

Yes, that is the factory finish where its almost bonded in to the foam. Recovering will never be as good and will have glue and/or staples securing it. I've also had about 6 or 7 recovered knee pads and at first glance they look genuine finish/texture, but every single one was slightly different to the other, depending on what material was sourced for it.

Given it's just when the bonnet pull is, I'd try and salvage it. I'd try and bond/epoxy the loose bits back, and if there is a bit of foam not covered, maybe just put some black silicon or leather filler over it; you'll hardly notice it I assume with the pull handle obscuring the view.

Other option is to just rebuy a new set of knee pads, but you might then need an ashtray front as that will then not match fully - randomly design911 are over £400 but a seller on Easy sells sets for £250, no idea if any good. Otherwise hold out for a good used example. I may have a near mint spare but I won't know for another couple of months if I need it, otherwise I can keep an eye out for one for you.
1966 RHD 911 Restoration Project
1988 RHD 3.2 Carrera fully restored with 200k miles
1999 RHD X51 with Factory Recaro Bucket Seats
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Given the alternatives, I agree with the salvage it comment. If this doesn't give you the results you want, then buy a used one...

This process will give you a decent enough repair I think for this hidden area: cut off the flaky bits of vinyl, clean thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, masking tape 1mm back from the edge (to save clean up later), spread on some black vinyl repair compound on the vinyl-less repair area nice and thick. Leave overnight at least. Once set, sand (e.g. 500 grit) to shape and remove the highs then rub the vinyl repair area smooth with some rubbing alcohol on cotton wool. The rubbing alcohol stage is equivalent to the polishing compound stage for paint - removes the sanding scratches. Rub until you can see the original vinyl edge. Obviously, try this process first and see what you think e.g. on the back. I used it to repair a small area of missing seat vinyl.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384832699707 (I used this and it worked well)
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored