Distributor refurbishment

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Distributor refurbishment

Post by RoscoP »

Hi Folks
Took the A to get it set up on the rolling road but the fella could only do a partial job due to "some wear in the dizzy", could be just springs but could need more. The dizzy in my A is a Bosch VJR4 BR18.
Can anyone recommend a good contact who can refresh/rebuild the dizzy (pref. Cheshire area though not essential)!
Cheers
RoscoP

Thank you for listening.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Distributor refurbishment

Post by neilbardsley »

Sry I tried to find someone in the UK but they didn't do a good job so I had to use Bruce Smith in the US http://sparkingplugs.com/

Hopefully you can find someone good in UK but Bruce did an excellent job.

PS What is wrong? If it's just the springs then you can buy and fit some. If the shaft has some play/wear then you might need a rebuild.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Have you tried PR Services or Roger Bray?

Failing that you might be better off buying a 123 distributor, plenty on here have used them on 356’s and 912’s
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

PRS did mine last year. Quick turn around too.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I fitted a 123 Distributor to mine.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Thanks for the replies folks, is it possible to buy some sort of refurbishment/rebuild kit, ideally in the UK? i knoe PRS sell the springs, maybe it just needs those....although I'm obviously no expert!
RoscoP.

Thank you for listening.
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

It is not just a case of fitting new springs but making sure that it all functions correctly with the desired advanced curve.

Spindles wear, which means the centre shaft may not be central, the bob weights can stick on the plate, so once you put the new springs in, you will still need someone to check it is still functioning correctly with the right advance etc.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

So do you recommend buying one
of the 123 dizzys that Ashleys suggests?
Cheers
RoscoP.

Thank you for listening.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’ve got them on my 356c and my Healey 3000 and my son just fitted one to a prewar Traction, mainly because the Rolling road he uses and I believe does Nick Masons cars, recommends them.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Are you 6v? The 123 worked very well on my 12v. I think they are 6v compatible?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’m 6 volt
silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Post by silverboydreamer »

You could try H & H ignition solutions in west Mids, 01384 261500, they have been around a number of years and rebuilding and mapping dizzi’s are meat and veg to them.
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Word of warning I used them for my 022 build and I had to send it to Bruce Smith in the States to have done correctly

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Just a thought have you taken off the distributor cap and turned the Rotor by hand to the stop and does it quickly fly back to its resting point? It should snap back quickly no hesitation. Have you lightly lubricated the area with the springs under the contact breaker plate, usually through the top of the dizzy central shaft.

These area tends to get left alone and might just be a bit sticky. My one is still the original except for a new cap. Check that rotor movement.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I had a 123 distributor, which I bought new, which did approx 5k miles then failed. It was 6v one, the basic sort, with a switch on the side to select the advance curve required. I had a 022 Bosch one which I bought as a dooer upper and replaced the 123 with that, and it has been fine since.

I did try to find out from the UK distributor of 123 distributors if it was possible to get mine repaired, or if they could get some spares for me, but they told me that since Brexit, things had become difficult in that respect, so on the shelf it has stayed. Maybe the availability has changed by now, as this was a couple of years ago. I was rather annoyed with it TBH, and I haven't even pulled it apart to see if I can see anything obvious wrong with it.

In contrast, it was incredibly easy to pull apart my old 022, it had little wear to speak of, and after a good clean and lubricate, new springs, points, condenser etc it has been pretty much faultless.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso