Speedster? Coupster? Bitsa?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Speedster? Coupster? Bitsa?

Post by simon james »

There’s a rather strange looking contraption currently offered for sale on eBay.

Listed as a Speedster, there are certainly elements of a genuine 356 evident.
The substructure looks genuine, the external panels (except the doors) look like altered Coupé items.
Strangely, it appears to have the Chassis Number of an open car.
Can anyone out there shed any light on this car?
Item number is 203923719850
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Speedster? Coupster? Bitsa?

Post by Bootsy »

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Looks like Godzilla stepped on it.
Rob 911/356
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rob 911/356 »

I viewed this (car?) about 6 months ago, believe me it looks a lot worse in real life.
There is no structure to speak of beneath the outer panels, no longs, torsion bar or suspension areas remain.
A new floor has been tacked to the outer panels to mock up a basic shape, balanced on a pallet.
Looked to be a coupe front end originally, the vin panel in the luggage comp remained however 3 digits of the vin have been cut out!
He has a "scraped vehicle" title for a Speedster, which would be the only thing worth taking home.
Rob

996 Turbo S RHD
69-911S. RHD
66-912 LHD Sold
64-356C LHD
57-356 cab LHD sold
56-356A RHD
55- Speedster LHD sold
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

Well goodness me!
Thank you for your reply and the information.
There has been some more photographs added, these are either poorly taken or poor on purpose.
It’s certainly now possible to see the door posts are pretty much none existent!

With regards to the missing chassis number and the “Scrapped Title”, I’m not sure exactly what use that is to anybody, surely it must the American version of our “Certificate Of Destruction”?

I do however, wonder if someone out there is planning a very expensive re-build with a reproduction body from Restoration Design, or indeed has this happened already in the states and what we’re seeing here is the residue?
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Rustytubs
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Rustytubs »

I think this would be a better starting point.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2357876
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

That link lead me to look at 356 For Sale on the samba, it seems from the prices that UK is the cheaper market in which to buy a 356.......they're all so$$ing pricey on there! W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

The “Speedster” did £42,211.
That’s a hell of a lot of money for not a lot of car.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Rob 911/356 wrote:the vin panel in the luggage comp remained however 3 digits of the vin have been cut out!
He has a "scraped vehicle" title for a Speedster, which would be the only thing worth taking home.
Did it have the complete chassis number anywhere Rob? I struggle to see value without an identity

84xxx is correct for a '58 Speedster. The holes in the front wing suggest it once sported Speedster spear trims...

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Rob 911/356
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rob 911/356 »

No, there was nowhere else intact to contain a chassis number.
It was just an assembly of various panels from different cars, with sections of home made metal tacked between them to form a basic shape.
The eBay pictures are carefully taken, not to show to much.
The doors are coupe with speedster capping's.
The dash panel is just a flat sheet of metal cut to shap to mount the gauges.
The base posts for the windscreen have just been tacked in position.

Yes the number is correct for a speedster, maybe what's left of the luggage comp area was originally from a speedster, although probably not the one on the title.
Rob

996 Turbo S RHD
69-911S. RHD
66-912 LHD Sold
64-356C LHD
57-356 cab LHD sold
56-356A RHD
55- Speedster LHD sold
cobber356
DDK slapper chatter

Post by cobber356 »

That thing is worthless
PastDown
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by PastDown »

Rob 911/356 wrote:I viewed this (car?) about 6 months ago, believe me it looks a lot worse in real life.
There is no structure to speak of beneath the outer panels, no longs, torsion bar or suspension areas remain.
A new floor has been tacked to the outer panels to mock up a basic shape, balanced on a pallet.
Looked to be a coupe front end originally, the vin panel in the luggage comp remained however 3 digits of the vin have been cut out!
That’s interesting you managed to view it 6 months ago. Being in Leeds and the “Speedster” being in Sheffield, I messaged the seller twice asking if I could view it but I never received a reply. In my message I asked about the rear lower axle cross member as no doubt it’d be rotten.

I thought the lack photos and how the photos had been taken was deliberate to hide the true nature.
Last edited by PastDown on Tue May 03, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob 911/356
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rob 911/356 »

The car was down in the new Forrest, and that's where those pictures were taken. It's probably still there as it will disintegrate if you try to move it.

Let's see whether a continental coupe comes up for sale now, apparently there's even less of that with an "abandoned vehicle" title.
Rob

996 Turbo S RHD
69-911S. RHD
66-912 LHD Sold
64-356C LHD
57-356 cab LHD sold
56-356A RHD
55- Speedster LHD sold