Is it just me, or...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Is it just me, or...

Post by KS »

Am I the only one who is getting tired of the endless 'Singer-alike' backdate 'restomod' (God, I hate that word!) 911s that crop up everywhere? Singer did a class job (even though I don't actually like the end result, I can still appreciate the workmanship) but why does everyone and his dog think he can do better, or do the same for less money, or pretend he's as good?

I thought the whole idea of building/driving a custom/hotrod/outlaw/whatever was to be different?

I remember years ago seeing an interview with a skinhead/mod bloke who was asked why he and all his mates wore Crombies, Ben Shermans, rolled-up Levis, braces and Doc Martens. His answer was that he wanted to look different... :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Is it just me, or...

Post by Bootsy »

It has become tiresome

Singer do a wonderful job and are still innovating - even if I think they all look ‘over wheeled’

Then there’s some other half decent Singer esque stuff which you don’t take much note of as they’re similar but not as good

Then there’s a load more of them which aren’t great at all

And yes the term Restomod has become tedious as it’s used to describe all of them

They do seem to attract massive amounts of traction on social though because the masses like cars that look like hot wheels toys

Each to their own though
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think it is the demand of today's market.
People have a 250,000 box of money, they seem to want these cars, this style so many try to get on the trend.
Same elsewhere, Alfas in particular, E types etc.
Just a trend, but also the demand for classic looks, modern features and beautifully made by and large.

Restomod is yet another irritating term, I find Hot Rod just as irritating, a 356 Outlaw hot rod!

Or simply a modified car.

Another was a car modified for quick road work, sounds like there is a job to get done....

Anyway, another twist will soon appear.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

U gize r out of date. It’s all about the Safari car now.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Sam wrote:U gize r out of date. It’s all about the Safari car now.
Which I spotted out and about on Thursday. Now that’s weird looking ;)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Classics used to be obtainable when supercars were not

The resto-mod epitomises the gentrification of axle grease :(
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
KS

Post by KS »

Hugo 356 wrote:Classics used to be obtainable when supercars were not

The resto-mod epitomises the gentrification of axle grease :(
Well put...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Agree with all of the above and I get annoyed when I see people wanting to buy an outlaw/hot rod when I thought an individual created his/her vision of what they wanted their modified car to look like. Instead, people throw money at it, miss out all of the inspiration/perspiration getting to your creation and just buy one. Not the same, they’re just buying an image/fashion icon. Bah humbug! That’s me, I’m going back to bed as I seem to have lost an hour's sleep somewhere…….
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Ive been caught by this.I dont really like the whole rear carpet job,when leaving out thre rear seats.Instead of sitting and thinking about the best way to find anonther option,ie paint finishing,or wheeling up some alloy panels I got lazy and pulled the trigger on a full fibreglass "insert" Now its arrived Ive realised it will look like
a Singeresque wanna be looky likey attempt, so it wont be going in.4k in the hole,for not thinking things through.What a donut.
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Look at this little 'beauty': raised suspension, discrete wheel arches and even the novel addition of LEDs on the roof rack. Although my images do not really capture the overall fabulous nature of this creation. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Well at least its not a Singer looky likey.Actually resembles something I might have done to a MK2 Cortina,in the 1970s!
KS

Post by KS »

I think a perfect example of not following the trodden path is our own Jon Miller's 'carbon' 911 - stupendous detailing that doesn't follow the Singer sheep. It can be done!
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

It’s stuff like this with the comments ‘Stance’ next to it that get my goat

Although I think this may have been photoshopped - I hope so as why else would somebody think that wheel combo was a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

KS wrote:I think a perfect example of not following the trodden path is our own Jon Miller's 'carbon' 911 - stupendous detailing that doesn't follow the Singer sheep. It can be done!

/\ /\ /\

Exactly !!

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

If that 911 above is real then it is undriveable. Those wheels will hit all 4 arches in use.
Airbags? Doubt it.
Talented photoshop stuff? Probably.

As to the 'Rally Style' 911 with knobbly tyres and B&Q arches and screws...got to be £250,000, 'cause they all are!

However, do people actually buy these cars?
Oh, and just what do the 2 pieces of patterned cloth add to the (nice ) roll cage?

Anyway, off to wash my 911 'Hot Rod' Restomod, Outlaw, sick, bitchin, mota now. Yours for £250,000.

Or as the DPD driver said yesterday with a huge grin, 'Now, that's THE car right there' pointing at the 911.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9