Hankering after a 356 Help Needed

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Hankering after a 356 Help Needed

Post by Ashley James »

I did lots of research before I bought mine and I could have afforded an earlier model then, but all the advice was that the later cars drive a lot better, which was the deciding factor for me.

Similarly, some say the early cars are comparatively slow, mine isn’t and is even better with Solexes. Others prefer the looks of the earlier models.

If you’re aware of all this I apologise, but if not I hope it helps
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Hi Ashley

Thanks for the advise, admittedly the looks of the earlier cars is what I was first drawn to, but after looking at the Bs and later 64/65 Cs they have grown on me. At the end of the day the drive is the most important factor for me for buying any car.
I am yet to sit behind the wheel of any 356, so that's the next step I think, drive a few examples and decide what model is for me.
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

drew01356 wrote:Hi Mark
I have played with a few 356 A's over the years and I'm in the final stages of finishing a 1959 356A RHD (the one on the left in the picture).
It won't be cheap but I might let it go with just paint and interior to finish.
My cars_sml.jpg
I'm not sure where you are in the UK but I am very happy to show you what's under the skin of a 356 and to point out some of the pitfalls when buying and restoring one of these amazing cars (I'm in Surrey).
10 KPE final copy.jpg
To give you some idea of values the last car I sold, (another 59 RHD 356A) went for over 50k and it needed everything doing to it.
Hope this helps and good luck with your hunt.
Regards
Drew
Hi Drew

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the offer of showing me whats "under the skin of a 356 and to point out some of the pitfalls when buying" much appreciated.

Regards Mark
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Mark, be assured Drew would be very good to speak to. There are so many traps you can fall into. I saw his work on the 59A WUF many years ago after he finished the car and sold it. It was still looking very good. Of course more choice if you go B or C but you might see the whole truth if you look at his A he has been working on. You would get purity of shape and from an investment point of view, to more than just a few, an A or even better a late A, is the last chance for that. Of course that might not matter at all to you, but possibly worth mentioning.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

When I bought mine, I already knew I wanted one, I had done since my late teens when I read Passion for Porsche by Jenks. If the driving experience was good enough for him, it would be fine for me. I bought Buying, Driving and Enjoying the Porsche 356 by James Schrager which I absorbed completely. I quickly settled on the T5B as the target as i prefer the T5 roof/screen combo, and i wanted the 5x205 wheels of the B. I then lined up some viewings, the first a 1600 normal fresh from Arizona needed quite a lot of work to be usable, all the rubber, vinyl and upholstery was cooked by the sun, so seals etc as well as full re commissioning. I passed on this one and pressed on to KK who had 2 nice T6Cs both just beyond budget and a mechanically good bad paint, rusty edges T5B. Armed with Schrager, a good torch, and Richie and his team's cooperation, I jacked it up and spent 3 hours picking it over.....a test run, with a tow start as the battery was flat and they'd pinched the starter motor off it.....a haggle, to include a starter motor, and a pair of bumpers and a deal was done. Train down a week later fit said starter and a wonderful 200 mile run home.....drove it ugly and daily for 5 years till the jagged edges failed the mot, and a quick weld/paint rebuild and its still a no-salt daily. We utterly love it. Thank you Jenks.Image

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Great story!
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

1959 A project car on carandclassic . Metal work all done, first impressions it looks pretty good. Rest of the car looks to be in bits. This looks like a good car if you are able to do the most of the remaining work yourself....
What do you guys think?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1383137
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think that car has been for sale for some time ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Andy, when you say a while is this months or even longer?

I believe the car is non matching, engine and gearbox do not match the chassi. Price seems high and I assume there might well be missing bits which might be the reason why it's not sold.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I can't remember when I first saw it Mark - think it was the end of last year - but they always seem to have several 356 projects available at any given time ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Mark, I would contact Drew about the RHD A he has been working on. The C&C green car if you were to attempt that level of work could take up a lot of your life I reckon. I dislike seeing it all green everywhere. Its LHD and just how would you know what is with it if you bought it.

I saw the car that Drew has when it came up for sale more than a couple of years ago in N Wales. I sort of thought maybe, but Drew bought that and another one, from the same guy I presume. Its well worth while having a look I think If he has done a lot of the body and work underneath don't expect it to be cheap but...worth a day to talk to him. I have had more than just the one 356 car and there are so many traps to fall in take my word for it.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

roy mawbey wrote:Mark, I would contact Drew about the RHD A he has been working on. The C&C green car if you were to attempt that level of work could take up a lot of your life I reckon. I dislike seeing it all green everywhere. Its LHD and just how would you know what is with it if you bought it.

I saw the car that Drew has when it came up for sale more than a couple of years ago in N Wales. I sort of thought maybe, but Drew bought that and another one, from the same guy I presume. Its well worth while having a look I think If he has done a lot of the body and work underneath don't expect it to be cheap but...worth a day to talk to him. I have had more than just the one 356 car and there are so many traps to fall in take my word for it.

Roy
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the advise, I had a chat with Paul from PRS earlier this week and his advise was that 356 shells are typically the most challenging part of any project and that they are more complex than an early 911. The number of hours that some of these cars need to sort out the dreaded rust I believe is significant.
My pockets will unlikely stretch as far as getting into an A, speaking to Drew will hopefully give me some further insight into what to look for when trying to find the right car. My current thinking is to look for a part finished project, a B or a C maybe.

Regards
Mark
arprea
DDK Fanatic

Post by arprea »

MarkIII wrote: Thanks for the advise, I had a chat with Paul from PRS earlier this week and his advise was that 356 shells are typically the most challenging part of any project and that they are more complex than an early 911. The number of hours that some of these cars need to sort out the dreaded rust I believe is significant.
My pockets will unlikely stretch as far as getting into an A, speaking to Drew will hopefully give me some further insight into what to look for when trying to find the right car. My current thinking is to look for a part finished project, a B or a C maybe.

Regards
Mark
I would agree 100% with the comments regarding 356 body. Mechanics are much easier to get sorted.

I’m still selling my ’53 in case it might interest you. Totally restored but outlaw/restomod vibe. PM me if interested. I’d consider trades as well.

Br
Aki
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

It's a perfect storm. Increasing inequality of wealth driving up the value of luxury goods. Classic cars are relatively fixed in supply therefore have very high price elasticity with respect to demand. Because the government printed so much money, people are sitting on large amounts of cash, which is depreciating in value circa 25% per annum so they need ways to get rid of their cash. That £300k seems like a lot of money now but soon that will be the deposit on a starter home.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Except demand for 50s and 60s cars is decreasing as the old giffers who lusted after them as kids stop driving and only a small number of younger car nerds want them. To the uncouth youth raised on cars with power steering, ABS and 150bhp a 356b is not the sort of drive that stirs the soul.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.