Hankering after a 356 Help Needed

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Hankering after a 356 Help Needed

Post by Lightweight_911 »

There's plenty of space in a 356 - my car easily swallowed enough luggage for a 3 week trip along the Wild Atlantic Way (West coast of Ireland) for 2 of us (plus tools & spares) a few years ago.

Approximately 2000 miles door-to-door without any problems.

I also took the car to SPA on a DDK trip in the company of (mainly) early 911's which included some motorway sections in horrendous weather conditions & was pleased to find that the car took it all in its stride.

Last edited by Lightweight_911 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Here you go Mark. You might have to dip your hand in your pocket a bit more than you thought, but this should satisfy you on all fronts.. coming soon on Sports Purpose

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.
Approximately 20000 miles door-to-door without any problems.
20000 miles in 3 weeks, that’s impressive Andy!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Another chance for yoda
yoda wrote:This was a spectacular car and probably one of my favourite 356s. Was for sale at £175k IIRC but the quality of the work was outstanding.

https://www.sports-purpose.com/cars-for ... 56a-outlaw
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

I’ve had my 356C for 5 years now and completely rebuilt it to almost standard condition. I had no trouble obtaining any part I needed from PRS, Roger Bray or Karman Konnection, all of whom are extremely nice people and very helpful.

Mine has a leather interior from Lakewell.com amd a 1720cc engine in SC/912 tune. It’s performance is not much different to my Healey 3000. Handling is superb, which was a real surprise. It’s largely unaffected by bumps, has a surprising amount of grip and it’s entirely predictable, so just like a 911 but not quite as good. The tail eventually breaks away, but progressively and harmlessly. So much for old wives tales.

In my opinion 356s are simple cars and easy to work on, they’re well made and designed and I’m not sure as rust prone as 911s. Obviously if you’re doing bodywork, lots of cavity wax and modern underseal will make for a better future.

The only downside and it applies to all old cars, is that they’re undergeared, so 4000rpm at a little over 70mph as it is with a 280SL Merc Pagoda. You notice this on motorways.

In my opinion they’re one of the best driving cars of the era, they ride well, they’re comfortable, they go very well, they’re terrific fun and I love mine.

I’m near Stroud In Gloucestershire and you’re welcome to visit and check the car over. I really recommend you buy one.

MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

jeremyg wrote:Here you go Mark. You might have to dip your hand in your pocket a bit more than you thought, but this should satisfy you on all fronts.. coming soon on Sports Purpose

Lovely looking car, knowing sports purpose the cost will be astronomical......
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

A couple of cars on carandclassic which i like

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1143231

This next car has been modified, quite like the non bumper look, apart from the interior which is not quite to my taste looks like something i would like to build.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1197666

And another from the US car which has been restored

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1097716
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Ashley James wrote:I’ve had my 356C for 5 years now and completely rebuilt it to almost standard condition. I had no trouble obtaining any part I needed from PRS, Roger Bray or Karman Konnection, all of whom are extremely nice people and very helpful.

Mine has a leather interior from Lakewell.com amd a 1720cc engine in SC/912 tune. It’s performance is not much different to my Healey 3000. Handling is superb, which was a real surprise. It’s largely unaffected by bumps, has a surprising amount of grip and it’s entirely predictable, so just like a 911 but not quite as good. The tail eventually breaks away, but progressively and harmlessly. So much for old wives tales.

In my opinion 356s are simple cars and easy to work on, they’re well made and designed and I’m not sure as rust prone as 911s. Obviously if you’re doing bodywork, lots of cavity wax and modern underseal will make for a better future.

The only downside and it applies to all old cars, is that they’re undergeared, so 4000rpm at a little over 70mph as it is with a 280SL Merc Pagoda. You notice this on motorways.

In my opinion they’re one of the best driving cars of the era, they ride well, they’re comfortable, they go very well, they’re terrific fun and I love mine.

I’m near Stroud In Gloucestershire and you’re welcome to visit and check the car over. I really recommend you buy one.

Hi Ashley

Your car looks lovely, It would be good to understand how you have found the process of rebuilding your car over the last 5 years, was it a non runner when you bought it, and you have completed work whilst being able to continue to use it, or has it been a full on restoration where its been off the road for a number of years.
A car needing everything i think is going to be a step to far for me, so i am leaning towards a car which has either already had some work done which i can then continue and put my own stamp on, or locating a car which has had most of the heavy lifting already done.

regards
Mark
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

jwhillracer wrote:
20000 miles in 3 weeks, that’s impressive Andy!

JW

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- corrected now ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

4th gear is approximately 80mph for 4k for me. I believe I have c as my 4th gear.

https://356enterprises.com/transmission ... rsche-356/

I think I'm right in saying speedster had b so where quite nimble but not great for cruising in modern traffic

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

MarkIII wrote:
Ashley James wrote:I’ve had my 356C for 5 years now and completely rebuilt it to almost standard condition. I had no trouble obtaining any part I needed from PRS, Roger Bray or Karman Konnection, all of whom are extremely nice people and very helpful.

Hi Ashley

Your car looks lovely, It would be good to understand how you have found the process of rebuilding your car over the last 5 years, was it a non runner when you bought it, and you have completed work whilst being able to continue to use it, or has it been a full on restoration where its been off the road for a number of years.
A car needing everything i think is going to be a step to far for me, so i am leaning towards a car which has either already had some work done which i can then continue and put my own stamp on, or locating a car which has had most of the heavy lifting already done.

regards
Mark
Mine was a good and respectable 356C with a small amount of rust in the floors and sills. Otherwise it was good but for a differential problem PRS fixed for me.

It could have been used and improved.
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

I've owned my 356 for nearly 30 years!!

Great car, simple to work on and modify. you can do most of it yourself if you want.

Yes, over the years Porsche Tax has got me thinking of selling. But after owning an early 912 and a speedster rep I know I would miss it like I miss those cars.

It's not modern but it looks like you have an older 911 which isn't modern also - just a bit more powerful.

It's a fun car to own

Happy to show you if I'm nearer than anyone else to you.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it on.
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

louis356 wrote:I've owned my 356 for nearly 30 years!!

Great car, simple to work on and modify. you can do most of it yourself if you want.

Yes, over the years Porsche Tax has got me thinking of selling. But after owning an early 912 and a speedster rep I know I would miss it like I miss those cars.

It's not modern but it looks like you have an older 911 which isn't modern also - just a bit more powerful.

It's a fun car to own

Happy to show you if I'm nearer than anyone else to you.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it on.
Couldn’t agree more. Lovely cars
drew01356
DDK addict

Post by drew01356 »

Hi Mark
I have played with a few 356 A's over the years and I'm in the final stages of finishing a 1959 356A RHD (the one on the left in the picture).
It won't be cheap but I might let it go with just paint and interior to finish.
My cars_sml.jpg
I'm not sure where you are in the UK but I am very happy to show you what's under the skin of a 356 and to point out some of the pitfalls when buying and restoring one of these amazing cars (I'm in Surrey).
10 KPE final copy.jpg
To give you some idea of values the last car I sold, (another 59 RHD 356A) went for over 50k and it needed everything doing to it.
Hope this helps and good luck with your hunt.
Regards
Drew
1944 Porsche Type 82 Kubelwagen Sold
1959 A RHD WUF 810 Sold
1959 A LHD Convertible D Sold
1959 A RHD UK car Sold
1959 A RHD South African car in the workshop now
1959 Messerschmitt Kr201 close to completion
1959 A LHD Convertible D the final project
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

MarkIII wrote:
jeremyg wrote:Here you go Mark. You might have to dip your hand in your pocket a bit more than you thought, but this should satisfy you on all fronts.. coming soon on Sports Purpose

Lovely looking car, knowing sports purpose the cost will be astronomical......
It was £175k a couple of years back and the car is pretty much the same now (including the mileage). I understand they are now asking £300k for it ..... I know we are in a high inflation environment but that is ridiculous!! Comedy price.
The force is strong in this one ......