Wing repair panel needed?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Wing repair panel needed?

Post by RobFrost »

The bases of my front wings are toast as you can see here, along with the bottom of the support panel:

Looks like I should be able to fabricate from flat steel although I don't have anything to shrink/stretch or bend steel other than a hammer and vice. Do you think I need the following:
https://www.design911shop.com/Front-Win ... rod135684/

or is success likely without?
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Re: Wing repair panel needed?

Post by RobFrost »

I should probably be considering the LWB version:
https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-9 ... 0/prod783/

Not sure if the wing repair itself is available.
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

...or get a 'just needs filling now that the rust has been dealt with' wing and use whole or in part - https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 31#p596331

Only the grey epoxy primed NSF remains
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

PeterK wrote:...or get a 'just needs filling now that the rust has been dealt with' wing and use whole or in part - https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 31#p596331

Are those impact bumper wings? Mine's a 1970.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

If the car is a keeper then just get new wings, pricey but worth in the long run especially if you plan to repaint everything. If the bottoms are like that I'd expect around the filler neck and light bowls will be not far off the same condition.

Don't think there are repair panels, other than butchering some wings with the unrotten area you need, unlikely.

Otherwise, get fabricating and shrinking bending some lips.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I did repair one of my wings that had a small hole in this area, but generally Nige is right. Just buy new ones.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

RobFrost wrote:
PeterK wrote:...or get a 'just needs filling now that the rust has been dealt with' wing and use whole or in part - https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 31#p596331

Are those impact bumper wings? Mine's a 1970.

Sorry, yes (but are the wing bottoms the same ?)
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I think F and G-model wings are the same except for the indicator light housings (and possibly wheel arch flare).

If its just the outside bit shown in your pic that's gone, then it would be quite easy to fabricate the bottom section, or try to find a later good used wing (still much cheaper than a new one).

You can buy the hockey stick shaped wing support panel that sits behind it, if needed, or quite easy to make the lower part (I have a mould for the whole thing). The wing is double-skinned adjacent to the door, and flanged to the shape of the door, so it is both tricky to repair well and the metal could be rough inside the skin (the main reason I replaced mine - I didnt want them to rust through down the line after the paint job).

As someone else mentioned, if there are other rough bits on the wing, it quickly becomes both difficult and time-consuming to repair properly, so it might be better to buy new wings if you value your time. That said, get ready for a wrestling match if you do buy new... :blackeye:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

The wings on the car are original and in such fabulous condition apart from this spot (and the bottoms of the headlamp bowls) I'm really reluctant to change them. Not sure why but I really value originality.
Last edited by RobFrost on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Have you had a look at the mounting flanges? And the section under the indicators?

These are often heavily corroded. It was the combinations of all these factors that condemned one of my wings.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Gary71 wrote:Have you had a look at the mounting flanges? And the section under the indicators?

These are often heavily corroded. It was the combinations of all these factors that condemned one of my wings.
Yes - the mounting flanges are pretty bad but repairing them doesn't phase me. The indicator areas are immaculate although one needs bending back into shape. Do you know if the SWB rear part of the wing is the same as LWB?
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

RobFrost wrote:
Gary71 wrote:Have you had a look at the mounting flanges? And the section under the indicators?

Yes - the mounting flanges are pretty bad but repairing them doesn't phase me. The indicator areas are immaculate although one needs bending back into shape. Do you know if the SWB rear part of the wing is the same as LWB?
No different slightly.ive done this repair,using a donor section from another wing.To do this right, you will have to unpick the support panel on the inside.Then Repair the panel and refit.Even with the correctly shaped donor part and acess to English wheel, shrinker etc.It was a hellish job.Not only do you have to deal with heat distortion,panel size and shape tend to vary over the years,which impedes retaining the correct flow of the panel.Took me couple of days to get it right.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I agree with everything coomo said, but I think you can repair that bottom bit fairly easily if the rot stops there. This is how I would do it. Remove the paint to see how far the rot goes. The flange is easy to lift (I use a the 90deg end of mini wrecking bar and tack hammer for this - e.g. link below). I would cut out as shown in my pic first, with a Dremel cutting disc, keeping the wheel arch and flange as shown. If the damage goes further, cut more out. Make a card template from the original pieces, cut out and shape repair pieces and trim to fit perfectly... weld. Weld the outer panel first with the wing support bracket removed in that area, so you can dress and protect the weld on the back. Repair the wing support bracket, and tack it back in place.

If you have to remove part of the wheel arch and all of the flange, then we are back to what coomo said - more difficult.

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/ ... rYQAvD_BwE
RobsWing.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
ghia70
DDK above all

Post by ghia70 »

I used these panels from Restoration design, great quality and fit and correct thickness of steel

https://www.restoration-design.com/stor ... ct/PP298SL
1968 912
1970 Karmann Ghia
1960 LI 125 Lambretta
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

ghia70 wrote:I used these panels from Restoration design, great quality and fit and correct thickness of steel

https://www.restoration-design.com/stor ... ct/PP298SL
Was yours a SWB? Mine's long. Not sure how those will fit a LWB.