The “Kettle” - 996.1 GT3

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: The “Kettle” - 996.1 GT3

Post by Darren65 »

yoda wrote:......Overall, a good first drive and a nice present for my wife!......
.....I bet she was thrilled! :cheers:

Great car Feroz, congrats :thumbright:
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Sam wrote:Possibly my favourite 911 to drive. I think they’ll prove a fine investment even from a slightly higher start point than a few years back. Remember when a 964 or 993 RS was £70k? They’re not now. And a Mk1 has the rarity / performance / homolgation / superb drive combo that counts.
That is my thinking Sam. The slightly awkward looks have become more charming with age and the rest of the qualities seem spot on. Cheapest of the Porsche GT cars at the moment so seems good bang for the buck.
The force is strong in this one ......
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Darren65 wrote:
yoda wrote:......Overall, a good first drive and a nice present for my wife!......
.....I bet she was thrilled! :cheers:

Great car Feroz, congrats :thumbright:
She certainly appreciated not having to climb any scaffolding to get in Darren and the comfort seats were a resounding success!

Will give it a thorough service, sort a few bits out then put some miles on it and report back.
ditchvisitor
DDK addict

Post by ditchvisitor »

Looks awesome mate! Can’t wait to see it, makes me miss like a lot.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I reckon a comfort seat for the passenger and a bucket for the driver is optimum. You can drive like a wazzock when you’re solo but have a happy passenger and access to rear seat luggage space.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I've only managed a couple of proper drives in the car over the last month but happy to report that everything seems in good order. Car feels very solid and is pleasingly free from any rattles or issues of any kind. I took the scenic route up to Caffein & Machine recently and the ride is still on the firm side but nothing like as stiff as my old 996.2 GT3. Could be a bit softer or just the different set up. The good news was that it was very comfortable and quick. The bad news was that it was too comfortable and too quick! Everything in the car starts working properly and feels good when pressing on but I found myself going faster than I would like on several occasions. A bit of a shame as I was hoping the motorsport heritage and the fact that it is 22 years old would make it feel a little more old school but it is very much a Porsche GT product.

The car is off for a service and some fettling in a couple of weeks after which I will try and get more miles in it to make a better assessment of how and if it fits in my ideal garage.

One bit of good news - I live in London and the car being a 2001 MY / EUR3 vehicle was subject to ULEZ charges. I asked Porsche for a Certificate of Conformity which shows that despite being EUR3, NOx emissions were well under the stipulated level for ULEZ (not sure how but I am not complaining). A quick letter to Transport for London with a copy of the V5 and CoC and it is now ULEZ exempt! Not big numbers but I don't feel guilty taking it for a quick spin now. It seems that there are lots of emission data issues so that two near identical cars can have different numbers / ULEZ status. Worth checking if you are driving a car from the early 2000s in the London area.
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

A 996 with no rattles? Hard to believe. I guess the GT3 must have less trim than some.

My 15mpg 996 Turbo is congestion exempt in Birmingham while my partner's 65mpg Passat has to pay :lol: And I totally get the "too fast" comment. A quick overtake can take you into prison territory in the blink of an eye.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Some of the interior materials are a bit plasticy but never had a problem with rattles. I've had a few 986/996s and always found them well screwed together, especially this GT3.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I agree. I’ve driven dozens of 996s and they very rarely rattle.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote:I agree. I’ve driven dozens of 996s and they very rarely rattle.
Must be me rattling then.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Great news on the ULEZ compliance Feroz - well done! A previous owner only sold the car for fear it wouldn't comply.
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

one-two wrote:Great news on the ULEZ compliance Feroz - well done! A previous owner only sold the car for fear it wouldn't comply.
I was a bit surprised myself, process was very easy.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Now that the summer holidays are over, I ventured over to the Alps in the GT3 and the car is really in its element here. Very comfortable for the long cruise down and great entertainment and overtaking power in the mountains. I had the suspension set up adjusted to my liking and it is now fabulous for road use.

yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Odd partners in crime but both very entertaining in the mountains

yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Lots of this