The “Kettle” - 996.1 GT3

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: The “Kettle” - 996.1 GT3

Post by yoda »

The GT3 was a fabulous road trip companion, great at covering serious miles in comfort and then very entertaining on the fun stuff. Ran like clockwork and covered 2500 trouble free miles. Certainly more comfortable than an early car as much quieter, good air con and very comfortable seats.

Downsides were that the boot is pretty small for longer trips, you get two large squashy bags and not much else. I was glad to have folding seats so I could put things in the rear seat area and footwell but not great if you are leaving the car parked between hotels etc. The other thing is that the platform is just far too capable to exploit on the road, in my view. Despite being 20 years old, it feels like a very modern car compared to an early 911 and when I was on my favourite roads I really missed my 73 car.

Was a great experience and a superb road trip but I think I’ll sell the GT3 and look for something older next. I want the road trips to be a bit more of an adventure and could be time to try something different.

If you are interested in a very well sorted GT3 at sensible money, drop me a message!
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Looks/sounds like a great trip Feroz.
yoda wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:22 pm The GT3 was a fabulous road trip companion, great at covering serious miles in comfort and ... much quieter, good air con and very comfortable seats.

- when I was on my favourite roads I really missed my 73 car.

Was a great experience and a superb road trip but I think I’ll sell the GT3 and look for something older next...

That sums it up for me - I don't want 'comfort' or 'air con' when I do an extended trip.

I want to experience more physical exertion/more noise/less comfort/etc than I would in a 'modern' car- for me that heightens the whole experience & is what attracts me to driving 'older' cars...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

At 72 - I'm finding Jaffa 911 tough for long road trips, starting one on Saturday!
She's basically a race car for the road - six hours or so can be exhausting...............
Have 914 rally car and 924 race car, Porsche #4 required!
Now looking for a road spec 911, not a 996 [although could be 964 or 993] - targa or convertible - maybe with aircon- for these sort of trips. I'm not a purist and prefer "edgy " cars - so a cool colour [even a wrap] might work - or some body mods, ducktail or maybe a slantnose? Probably 85 or later for bullet proof motor etc.
We may be looking for the same thing Feroz!!
c
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Interesting discussion Feroz/Clive/Andy. Sounded like a really good trip Feroz, but you signalled it would probably be a seller before you set off, so no surprise. I’m still exploring my GT3 - taking it on track at Goodwood soon, and now the front suspension is sorted it’s very addictive. Having done a long ‘relaxing’ summer trip in it to the South of France with Trish, we’re off to Reims in our 71 T in October - that I think will be of the ‘adventure’ variety. I’m lucky to have both I know, but I suspect in the end, if forced to decide it would be the early 911 that’s a keeper.
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

In a nutshell - I don't find that the water cooled cars have "soul" - and I want that as well as some comfort!!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

To balance the discussion a little, it was a great trip made all the better for me as my brother joined me and shared some of the driving. It was his first road trip to the Alps and he thoroughly enjoyed it. The GT3 was quiet enough on the motorways so we could chat while driving plus we did about 600 miles / 10 hours on the first day and got out feeling pretty fresh. Don't think that would be possible in an early car. He really enjoyed driving some of the great passes in the GT3 and thought it was much better than the 993 C2S he had for 15 years.

I've had a few 964s and 993s and while they do cover the middle ground (as you would expect), neither quite hit the spot. I did an Alps trip in my 993 C2 and a friend brought his 996 GT3 and we both marvelled at the GT3 engine which is sublime. 993 felt pretty dull afterwards and like getting off a race horse and on to a donkey! Horses for courses as they say and its fun trying things.

Part of my objective is to find the perfect touring car for trips with my wife and I think (know!) she would prefer the GT3. I probably need a car for solo trips (73 RS or Caterham) and one for 2 up trips (maybe a Boxster Spyder ....?).
Last edited by yoda on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Just to weigh in on the 996 vs air cooled... As much as I love my older cars, I've never been in a car that eats up miles like the 996, and I think it would be a mistake to call it soulless having not driven one first. If I could only keep one, it would be the 996 because it's hot in the winter, cool in the summer, the windows clear in seconds and thrilling to push. But if already had a daily car and wanted something additional purely for thrills, I'd pick an air-cooled motor for the character, the history imbued in it, and straightforward mechanics.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Sam

Post by Sam »

A Boxster Spyder is an interesting one. It’s so much more special than a Boxster in so many ways that it ought to absolutely be the answer, but the fact you can’t go fast with the roof on and the faff of the rear boot and roof in general makes it far from ideal for Euro trips. The 4.0 GTS solves all that, but doesn’t sparkle as much and if you’re looking at open GTSs then I think I’d dig a bit deeper and get a 991 cab.

I like open cars, especially in the mountains, so have been through the thought process a bit and keep coming back to sticking with the 964 targa as that compromise between useable and old and fast enough but not too fast.

If I drove on a daily basis then I reckon I’d defo have a 991 or Boxster GTS as the perfect only car that could also do trips.

I occasionally mull over getting something non-Porsche but there’s not a lot out there that’s open, quite quick and has decent luggage space.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

jeremyg wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:43 am Interesting discussion Feroz/Clive/Andy. Sounded like a really good trip Feroz, but you signalled it would probably be a seller before you set off, so no surprise. I’m still exploring my GT3 - taking it on track at Goodwood soon, and now the front suspension is sorted it’s very addictive. Having done a long ‘relaxing’ summer trip in it to the South of France with Trish, we’re off to Reims in our 71 T in October - that I think will be of the ‘adventure’ variety. I’m lucky to have both I know, but I suspect in the end, if forced to decide it would be the early 911 that’s a keeper.
I think you will really enjoy it on track Jeremy, the GT3 is fabulous when you have space to push it a bit harder. The platform is very stable and predictable and really excels on track.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Sam wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm A Boxster Spyder is an interesting one. It’s so much more special than a Boxster in so many ways that it ought to absolutely be the answer, but the fact you can’t go fast with the roof on and the faff of the rear boot and roof in general makes it far from ideal for Euro trips. The 4.0 GTS solves all that, but doesn’t sparkle as much and if you’re looking at open GTSs then I think I’d dig a bit deeper and get a 991 cab.

I like open cars, especially in the mountains, so have been through the thought process a bit and keep coming back to sticking with the 964 targa as that compromise between useable and old and fast enough but not too fast.

If I drove on a daily basis then I reckon I’d defo have a 991 or Boxster GTS as the perfect only car that could also do trips.

I occasionally mull over getting something non-Porsche but there’s not a lot out there that’s open, quite quick and has decent luggage space.
My thoughts exactly. Spyder is great to drive but the roof is frustrating and I would happily take the extra weight penalty of the standard roof. I have thought about getting a Boxter GTS and tweaking it a bit to make it more engaging to drive as I tried a newer 911 Cab but I think I prefer the Boxster as a package.

Open top motoring in the mountains is a wonderful experience. Closer to home, I have frequently taken my Caterham to Wales and recently had a BMW Z4 which was really great fun on a sunny, spring day despite being 2C outside!
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

For the gen1 GT3, would a Manthey K400 kit be a useful tweak? Cost a bit but maybe would be reflected in the future resale?
Sam

Post by Sam »

I have a pal who put the RPM Technik lower final drive in his Boxster and said it utterly transformed the car.

Heated seats on, heater to max, roof down, beanie hat. Bright chilly winter days are better than hot summer ones.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

RobFrost wrote:Just to weigh in on the 996 vs air cooled... As much as I love my older cars, I've never been in a car that eats up miles like the 996, and I think it would be a mistake to call it soulless having not driven one first. If I could only keep one, it would be the 996 because it's hot in the winter, cool in the summer, the windows clear in seconds and thrilling to push. But if already had a daily car and wanted something additional purely for thrills, I'd pick an air-cooled motor for the character, the history imbued in it, and straightforward mechanics.
I had a 996 turbo modded to over 500bhp .. stupid quick, but once that novelty wore off it was soulless and ultimately didn’t excite me on my usual blasts out . Sold it and bought an M3 CSL . …. Which has also gone ….My 73 car is still here 20 years and counting
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

The “Kettle” - 996.1 GT3

Post by hot66 »

yoda wrote:
Sam wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm A Boxster Spyder is an interesting one. It’s so much more special than a Boxster in so many ways that it ought to absolutely be the answer, but the fact you can’t go fast with the roof on and the faff of the rear boot and roof in general makes it far from ideal for Euro trips. The 4.0 GTS solves all that, but doesn’t sparkle as much and if you’re looking at open GTSs then I think I’d dig a bit deeper and get a 991 cab.

My thoughts exactly. Spyder is great to drive but the roof is frustrating and I would happily take the extra weight penalty of the standard roof. I have thought about getting a Boxter GTS and tweaking it a bit to make it more engaging to drive as I tried a newer 911 Cab but I think I prefer the Boxster as a package.

Open top motoring in the mountains is a wonderful experience. Closer to home, I have frequently taken my Caterham to Wales and recently had a BMW Z4 which was really great fun on a sunny, spring day despite being 2C outside!

The roof thing is a non event (987 spyder ) . Once your used to it it’s on in less than 2 mins and off in less time … if you don’t bother with the air curtain the roof is on in less than a minute. I can’t speak of the 981 that have a different roof which doesn’t allow access to the rear boot though.

Roof on … 100 mph plus isn’t an issue. It is noisy though with roof on. When thrashing it on my usual runs, tbh, you don’t need anything ‘quicker ‘ … it is quick. early car,is still more exciting though ;)

My wife’s favorite car to passenger in is the spyder , which is telling

Although the ‘modern’ Porsche enthusiasts claim it’s got great feedback and steering feel , some of the best of the modern generation boxster / caymans … it has for a modern, but it isnt a patch on air cooled cars .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

RobFrost wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:43 pm Just to weigh in on the 996 vs air cooled... As much as I love my older cars, I've never been in a car that eats up miles like the 996, and I think it would be a mistake to call it soulless having not driven one first. If I could only keep one, it would be the 996 because it's hot in the winter, cool in the summer, the windows clear in seconds and thrilling to push. But if already had a daily car and wanted something additional purely for thrills, I'd pick an air-cooled motor for the character, the history imbued in it, and straightforward mechanics.
There's no way i would get rid of my early car for my 996. It's just a different driving experience. 3 hours driving in an early car can get a bit uncomfortable.
The 996 is just a better drive than my van....!
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle