STARTER MOTOR - HIGH TORQUE TYPE

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: STARTER MOTOR - HIGH TORQUE TYPE

Post by Nine One One »

Halfords sell those diesel hand pumps, they used to be standard fitment to the original Peugeot diesel engines years ago.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... z1EALw_wcB
Knoxy
DDK addict

Post by Knoxy »

Thanks Mike

Nice of you to notice.
“Change is easy. Improvement is far more difficult”. - Ferdinand Porsche.

Helga the 912 Light Ivory 1967 (same age as the missus but in considerably better nick)
Ruby the Merc - Mercedes Benz S123 200T Estate
981 Cayman (Sold)
Cayenne - (Sold)
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Just bought one from Amazon £6.95
Knoxy
DDK addict

Post by Knoxy »

Well Done, hope it helps.

Helga the 912 Light Ivory 1967 (same age as the missus but in considerably better nick)
981 Cayman (Sold)
Cayenne - (Sold)
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Not happy to use. I’ll measure but I suspect it will drop fuel pressure significantly and cause fuel starvation at higher speeds. It may damage the engine. They all look the same and on this one the one way valve has quite a strong spring.
Knoxy
DDK addict

Post by Knoxy »

Better safe than sorry.

981 Cayman (Sold)
Cayenne - (Sold)
Knoxy
DDK addict

Post by Knoxy »

Timo wrote:Hi Knoxy, my car has always suffered with the same percolation issue you mention.

I'm thinking of investing in one of those primer pumps, I like the look of the one you have used as its quite small compared to some I've seen. Can I ask where you purchased yours from?

Also Love the metal fuel filter, where did you get that?

Cheers

Tim
Tim

I changed my fuel filter today and could get the info once it was removed. It’s a Comline Part No CNS13004. Available on Fleebay for around £7.

981 Cayman (Sold)
Cayenne - (Sold)
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

On my 6v the two biggest differences to starting are. 1) Relay by the starter. This helps the solenoid. 2) CDI. Even when the car has been sitting for a while and the carbs are dry it starts much quicker. Probably in 5 seconds

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

I’ve been meaning to fit a fuel primer bulb for a while, seen them on a number of 356s. Must get on with it…….
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I know this isn't the conventional thinking but I would not fit one. I think that some turns of the starter before the engine starts allows oil to circulate. Especially if the car has been sitting for a while This will probably improve the life of your engine more than a full flow filter?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

I agree with Neil. Not worth fitting a primer bulb. I found my starting much improved when I replaced my worn out Solex carbs with some chinese copies. A high torque statrter made a difference but the carbs made the biggest diference.
67Matt
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 67Matt »

Thanks for this Knoxy, I should have checked the forum earlier, as I've had this issue for a few months!! After a run, the car will re-start immediately, but if left for 10 mins (eg filling up with fuel/picking kids up from school) it often won't start. If its left for a further 10/15 mins, it will usually fire up again. Someone suggested this might be fuel evaporating, but didn't go on to recommend the primer bulb. Have just ordered one, and hopefully that'll be problem solved. Thanks again, Matt
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

One thing I discovered recently is that the High Torque Starters need higher capacity wiring.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Green912
DDK Fanatic

Post by Green912 »

Morning all

I fitted my new starter in Feb 22 and don't appear to have any issues with a burning wire smell. (Time will tell?). I am happy with the performance of the motor and is far better than the standard one that was playing up before.
Will post if i have any issues.
Knoxy
DDK addict

Post by Knoxy »

67Matt wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:29 pm Thanks for this Knoxy, I should have checked the forum earlier, as I've had this issue for a few months!! After a run, the car will re-start immediately, but if left for 10 mins (eg filling up with fuel/picking kids up from school) it often won't start. If its left for a further 10/15 mins, it will usually fire up again. Someone suggested this might be fuel evaporating, but didn't go on to recommend the primer bulb. Have just ordered one, and hopefully that'll be problem solved. Thanks again, Matt
You're welcome Matt, hope it works as well as mine did. If you fit one, remember my previous tip to crank the car before priming the fuel bulb to get some oil around the engine, as in my experience, the car fires into life first crank after priming.

981 Cayman (Sold)
Cayenne - (Sold)