Carrera 3.2 G50 to '67 lightweight 911R

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Carrera 3.2 G50 to '67 lightweight 911R

Post by RobFrost »

A great afternoon prepping the car today for driving tomorrow. Every job went according to plan, which is rare!

I noticed on a previous occasion this socket looked quite worn and I didn't want to lose the throttle while out and about.

So I replaced with a new one, including the little wire clip.

I opened up the passenger door and repaired the lock barrel which was falling out with the key. I had no idea how it went back together but miraculously all the parts were in the door, including the little screw and it went together beautifully.

It was a really nice surprise to find no rust whatsoever in the base of the door. The galvanising on these later cars seems really good, and I think this car must have been garaged its entire life.

It'll need a good wipe down, but I put one of the 911T seats in the back so my daughters can come out for a drive tomorrow. It went straight in. And I took out the 6 point harness hoops, which would be pretty hazardous for passengers.

I investigated why the radio wasn't working and found a fallen out fuse. Nice and simple fix.

I put together a tool roll with Jack, wheel brace, locking nuts, tyre inflater etc.

I epoxied this piece of broken trim from the passenger footwell.

All in all a productive day. Image

No time left to clean the car, sadly. I'll have to do that in the morning. And finishing late, as usual, I've no motivation left to tidy up afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I thought I'd start a single thread to pull together all the work I do on this car... and I got to thinking and did a search and found out I'd started this and forgotten about it. The joys of old age, I suppose.

I found these ballbearings cleaning out the cabin... any reason to be concerned or where they could be missing from?

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

The car has a performance exhaust and is a bit drony around 2,000 rpm so I decided to add some Kilmat soundproofing to the rear.

It was with considerable trepidation that I stripped out the carpets in this car. The MOT tester always comments what great shape it's in, but he's looking from the outside and you never know if it's rusting away from inside. There's been some water ingress from time to time, and being a sunroof model creates opportunity for water to get in.

But I'm really impressed with the rustproofing on this 1988 car. The bitumen mats are all intact and no rust at all in the floor.

I treated it to a cost of 2K epoxy paint around all the edges, to deal with any scratches which may exist and to ensure any water which does enter, can't get under the soundproofing.

One of the seats was damp in the soundproofing smd crusty underneath so it got stripped, primed and coated in 2K epoxy.

While the carpets were out I welded in some proper seatbelt mounts. There were nuts behind, but not captive.

The joys of welding surrounded by glass and upholstery.

Kilmat in the seats and I covered some parts of the tunnel and bases of the sills.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I took the car out today and my initial view is that it seems way quieter with the mats in the seats. I'll have a stronger opinion after the drive down to Megaphonics.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

This spends most of its time rolling around under the seat. Any suggestions how to make it stay on better? Loctite? Nylock nut? The nut doesn't seem deep enough to accommodate a nylock.Image