Sewing Club

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Sewing Club

Post by RobFrost »

Save hijacking "what did you do today?", here's a thread for things involving a needle, thread, or textiles - edging carpets, upholstery, re-seaming your tutu skirt after an overambitious Temps Levé. Whether you have a simple needle and thread or a Cambodian sweatshop, if it involves an early Porsche-related textile activity, let's hear about it. I'll be kicking off with a couple of photos of the sewing machine I just bought to upholster my 911T.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Re: Sewing Club

Post by RobFrost »

This is the starting point - worn out comfort seats needing some tlc. I'm not sure if this job is beyond me but I'm willing to give it a try.

So I bought a Singer 201K from the local auction- apparently Rolls Royce used them for their leather upholstery, and they're so robust that old ones still sew like new. Let's put that theory to the test.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Having got my hands on the machine, it's clearly been dropped. The case is split at one end and you can't carry it using the handled cover.Image

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Even has some rust, a problem we're all familiar with.

But all of the chromework is in great shape. They really went to town kn these machines.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I spent a few frustrating hours trying to get it set up, but all I could get was badly tangled bottom thread.

After disassembling, cleaning and lubricating the bobbin carrier I worked out this shark's fin-shaped flange wasn't engaged in the slot in which it's meant to be.

That improved the stitch a bit, but still pretty poor.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I don't actually know where the top thread goes through the tensioner. It says put it between the tension discs but there are three discs, so it can go between the left hand two or the right hand two in this picture. Does anyone know whether it goes between the left two or the right two in this photo?

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Sewing Club

Post by Gary71 »

My two sewing projects:

New Alcantara headlining:
Patterned from the old one I carefully removed. Shouldn’t be too hard, four loops and two small seams.
I say not too hard, but I’m not the one trying to sew a 900mm long straight line! :)

Next job is to sort those horrible baggy sunvisors. I’ve got a spare set so these are being sacrificed for a good cause.

I plan to use the original frame and in conjunction with using some trim board, hard foam and scrim, make an inside out Alcantara bag for the outer and hand sew the rearmost edge.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I assume there was also some kind of board inside those visors?
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

No, just the wire frame and the two sheets of foam. My new one will have trim board.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

RobFrost wrote:I don't actually know where the top thread goes through the tensioner. It says put it between the tension discs but there are three discs, so it can go between the left hand two or the right hand two in this picture. Does anyone know whether it goes between the left two or the right two in this photo?
I cannot make out three washers from your pic, but I would normally expect there to be two cup washers face-to-face, and the thread to go between these. Its just there to adjust tension to the thread. My experience is that, if there is any deviation from the 'proper' threading setup, you will end up with a tangled mess. Also, at least on my machine, the tensioning knob only has a very subtle effect on the stitch once it is set up correctly, whereas incorrect threading has a ridiculously major negative effect (often just tangles, wont stitch)...

There is probably a threading diagram somewhere for your machine, perhaps in cave painting format, but they are all pretty much the same so any generic threading pic might do the trick. If you struggle for this, I could perhaps do a video of my setup over the weekend, or Whatsapp me and I'll show you...

Have some of my upholstery projects on my resto thread....
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

deano wrote:I cannot make out three washers from your pic
Capture.JPG
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The ones to use are the easiest ones to access. Once set I think you leave it alone unless the tread is very different.
It all has to be very clean below the plate, no fluff bonded by old oil etc.
Once set they just go on and on and on...

I have no sewing projects, never needed one!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

If it isn’t man enough I have a reconditioned Singer 32K walking foot, medium weight, upholstery machine with a new motor and bench I’d sell.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

RobFrost wrote:
deano wrote:I cannot make out three washers from your pic
Capture.JPG
Looks like #1 is the backplate, 2 & 3 are the cup washer thingies.... if the thread is between 2&3 like it looks then I would say that is correct.
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »