Die Garage der Schande

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Die Garage der Schande

Post by RobFrost »

We've all seen THOSE posts.  Some 30 stone guy posts a big fat picture of himself with his shirt off and his belly out.  He declares he has a problem, throws a deep-fried pizza in the bin and starts walking slowly on a treadmill for 5 minutes. 

Soon, he's walking quickly, then he's jogging, before long he's even eating celery.  He runs faster and faster... Usain Bolt can't keep up. A blacksmith forges titanium conrods on his six pack in slow motion...  Eventually, pursued by a posse of schoolkids gone berserk, he sprints up Philadephia Museum of Art staircase, arms aloft, with The Eye Of The Tiger playing in the background.

I'm that guy.

Only my disgrace, my ignominy, my dishonour, is not a massive fat belly (actually I have one of those too, but that's another matter).  My shame is a cluttered garage.

I have a problem.  I admit it.

That old piece of tat.  That old, useless thing.  That bit of cr@p there -  IT MIGHT COME IN HANDY ONE DAY.  IT'S TOO GOOD TO THROW AWAY.  YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED ONE OF THOSE.

That tool I just saw for sale that I lived perfectly well for 50 years without - WHAT A BARGAIN.  THAT WILL SAVE ME A LOT OF TIME WHEN I NEED IT.  I DON'T HAVE ONE OF THOSE.

It's a disease, I know.  But the first step is putting my hand up and admitting it.  I have a long and difficult road ahead shedding all this clutter and mess.  I need your support and encouragement.  Together we can achieve...

PORSCHE RAUM.
(that's room to put a Porsche in)

Tomorrow I begin.  Today, I make room for spare SSI heat exchangers , six massive rolls of tissue and a tool roll.

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!  LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN THROW THE FIRST STONE!!!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Re: Die Garage der Schande

Post by RobFrost »

I just need to pluck up a bit of courage to reveal the full clutteredness of my garage. That first shirt-off shot of the belly of shame. The garage you can never unsee.

If anyone has the fibre to offer the support of a photo of their own cluttered hovel... Now is the moment. SHARE AND BE DAMNED!
Last edited by RobFrost on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

You’ve made the biggest step by sharing your problem

Now where’s that picture….
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

I'm with you on this.... one step at a time!
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

I’m a sinner too. So much so that I can see your failing. You didn’t keep enough empty cardboard boxes of different sizes to find one you exchangers will actually fit in. Are you sure you have really been hoarding properly?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

One of the best 4 cam engine builders in the world and the video doesn't show the clutter outside

https://youtu.be/ipKZ80F3WFI

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

210bhp wrote:I’m a sinner too. So much so that I can see your failing. You didn’t keep enough empty cardboard boxes of different sizes to find one you exchangers will actually fit in. Are you sure you have really been hoarding properly?

Regards
Mike

My garage is also crammed (see my resto thread yesterday). Having moved all of the $h1t out to lay the tiles, and despite throwing one empty aerosol spray can away, when I put it back I no longer have enough space for it all. It must have multiplied while my back was turned.

I do have plenty of cardboard boxes - I can hardly get into the loft room because of them. They’re ready for when I sell my spare cr@p, but people have only bought the small bits, not the SSI type h/ex, oil coolers and other big things that eat my space.

It’s not my fault, society is to blame.
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Now you admitted your sin Rob, here’s something for you to aim towards

https://youtu.be/1h-9oOogD4E
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
KS

Post by KS »

Mmmmm, a garage. Any garage, cluttered or not. We can but dream of such things...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

KS wrote:Mmmmm, a garage. Any garage, cluttered or not. We can but dream of such things...

Don't do yourself a disservice - I've always liked your garage

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

:lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Part disease, part life, part Porsche clutter. I am a sinner too.

HQ has had enough. Normally she is quite tolerant but the other day she hit me with “When are you going to get rid of all this sh!t?” She was mainly referring to the Recaro comfort seats that have been lying around for three years hence why I have put them up for sale. She has a point.

Kind regards
Gitesh
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Went through this in the 70's!
First way to totally clear the mind of clutter gathering is to have a single garage and a sloping drive.
And build a car in it.

Once you have that sorted, ie NO ROOM you need an 90's Management Course.

'A place for everything, and everything in it's place'
'tidy everything away when done, next day starts better for it'.

Then you simply have to keep it up so it becomes a habit, a natural action.
Benefits are:
Less tripping over stuff
No repeat buying of tools as you almost remember where you placed them before
You can always find something to make something from
You want to go in the garage, so less time in the Garden.
Fewer/no foot prints on the kitchen floor as you trapes in and out of the garage after getting a book to refer too, you just can't keep books in a garage.
You keep the Garage for what it is designed for which can be many things, but usually for car stuff, not lawn mowers and old bikes you will never ride again.

Your mates are impressed as they have not followed your regime of operation, no wonder their restorations take years, and years, and ye...

Rob, good luck with the 6 pack and your quest.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

markm wrote:Now you admitted your sin Rob, here’s something for you to aim towards

https://youtu.be/1h-9oOogD4E
Great video - those folding benches, set back from the wall to hide tools, would be an upgrade over what I have... although you have to back the car out to get to a welding clamp. :lol:
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

You will clear it all out, get rid of things you will be looking for next year, wondering what you did with it/them. You will create more space, which over the next two years you fill with even more crap, than you have now, that one day will/may be of use again. We have all been there, tried exactly the same, but it never seems to work! :lol:

It's a man thing which nobody ever seems to understand.