1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

I no longer have a compressor (well until I buy another one anyway) so I’m using aerosols so don’t have any say in nozzle settings.

I’ve also found what I think is a drain hole on the drivers side which I’m guessing should also be on the passenger side (it isn’t) - at the front of the inner sill.

Will post pictures later
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Northy
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Post by Northy »

Hey Mark.
Good to see the car getting some love.
For cavity waxing, I use this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370278121089 ... media=COPY

It comes with the wands that spray out in a fan pattern. Pokey pokey in the hole and give it a generous pump. The wax gets everywhere.

Wear a mask!
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks Lewis that looks good - however I’ve already bought the dinitrol. The nozzle doesn’t look as good as on your link though

OK so today has been about painting as FINALLY finished the welding and grinding

I did a coat of fe123 rust converter first and once it had dried I wire-brushed it and then gave a list sanding

Then came the first coat of epoxy mastic

As usual I mixed waaay too much, but I put a lid on the mixed up solution and 4 hours later it was still usable so I did a second coat

This was the drain hole I mentioned earlier - on the drivers side

But on the passenger side - nothing there

I was going to wait for clarity from you guys but in the end I thought sod it and drilled a hole - while I still had mixed epoxy so I could cover the bare metal

Tomorrow I’ll be applying the stone chip first and then the cavity waxing later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
sladey

Post by sladey »

Just realised I forgot to update on welding that corner piece. It went pretty well in the end.

As you may remember I decided to do it in 2 parts as I through the top part would be an easier piece to make. In the end it was nearly as hard as the lower piece. I just took it steady, adjusting a bit at a time, cutting, heating bending etc until I ended up with this

As you can see I made a couple of tabs for the lower piece and screwed them into position - this let me concentrate on the top piece without having to hold 2 pieces in the same position for all the test fits

sladey

Post by sladey »

Once I was happy with the fit I tacked the two pieces together and then took them off the car to wel them together fully. I was able to weld from both sides - ground down the outer welds but left the inner ones mostly in place

This is with the patch fully done and about to be welded in place

I was quite pleased with the drain hole I asked about previously (not the one earlier this evening but the one from the other day)

I was able to weld it up from inside the sill - through the big hole - which left the route for water to drain nice and clear.

I was then able to get a good join on the ‘double’ patch piece I just made and then ground that weld smooth - so the drain water can run out easily without having any weld blobs to hold onto water. I’ll spray vanity wax in there tomorrow

If I remember I’ll put a picture of how the drain hole finished up

PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

sladey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:53 pm
I’ll spray vanity wax in there tomorrow

Isn't that story for a different website Mark :lol:

Lovin' the updates
Peter
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Coming together :)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks guys. Vanity wax is like cavity wax but less hard core.

I sprayed all the stuff onto it (and into it) today. The stonechip is meant to be quick drying but stays very soft.

I also took up the carpet and drilled an access hole on the inside so I could spray some wax in there as well.

I got black spots all over me

Going to leave it a day to harden off and then I can put the wheel back and start driving it again
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Satisfying weeks or so work, even better DIY.
As my years grow, wish I had a lift!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

Post by sladey »

The lift was a complete game changer Graham. I’ve noticed it even more as I haven’t been able to use it during this last bit of work (because of the position of the corrosion)

It’s not just being able to get at the underside more easily - it’s being able to regularly reposition the car so you are working in the optimal position
sladey

Post by sladey »

OK to wrap up this part of the car’s story I got it all back together
And switched the cars round in the garage

I drove it to work 3 days last week - it’s going to be my daily driver for the summer.

I absolutely loved driving it - it’s like putting on a pair of your favourite old shoes or a favourite jacket. The rebuilt suspension is really nice - much better damping over some poor road surfaces. So that’s all great but the shocker to me is how good it is in the real world compared to the GT4.

I’m very lucky to have been daily driving a Cayman GT4 for the last year. It’s an awesome car, very very fast and very involving. But in real world terms the old car is quicker. Let me explain.

I like to have a nice drive to and from work so use country lanes whenever I can - they are the only roads on which we can enjoy ourselves now. Country roads are, by definition, narrow.

There is one stretch of road I often take on the way home. If it’s empty it’s a joy, but frequently you’ll get a dawdler pootling along at 30 mph (it’s a 60 zone). In the GT4 there are only 2 places where I can pass someone, and even then I have to hustle my way alongside them. If they aren’t paying attention it can surprise them that I am alongside and close to them.

In the old car, it’s so much narrower that I can nip by in half a dozen places - all with plenty of room to spare. Because there is more space the overtake is less confrontational and there is no ‘hustling’ involved.

So yes, for me and my driving routes, the old car is faster.

If there was no other traffic the GT4 would undoubtedly be quicker. But it wouldn’t be as much fun.

Add to this the sense of connection you get with the older cars and I’m happy as a pig in shite

Finally there must have been a dozen people who reacted to the car in a positive way on my commute - a double-take, pointing at it, or just giving a thumbs up and a grin. All of which makes you feel good about the car and about life in general.

Last edited by sladey on Sun May 07, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Bringing a smile to your face (and as a bonus those around you) is what makes these old cars.

Good to see it back up and running :)
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Great post there Mark. Sums up what it’s all about and why a sorted old 911 is so popular. How many other cars of that age could you realistically daily drive without being sick of it after two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks guys
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

That picture of your car in your Uber garage gives me a semi which, trust me, unaided, is a very appreciative state these days
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk