How desirable is a US Spec 1977 911S with 57K original miles

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

leewiffen
DDK above all

How desirable is a US Spec 1977 911S with 57K original miles

Post by leewiffen »

I keep being tempted by these cars thinking I will bring them over and sell them, but that's what I thought when I bought my 912 eight years ago !! But hey, this car is fantastic in terms of it's originality, colur, history, but it seems there are few 77 911S's in the UK. I'd appreciate any advice related to resaleability, useabilty etc
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: How desirable is a US Spec 1977 911S with 57K original m

Post by Sam »

Budget to change the headlights and steering wheel to euro spec and remove the smog gear if it has it.

The main worry is that there are a lot of poor US cars. For a 77 car to be still around in Europe it will either have been cherished or restored. US dry state cars have often just survived despite limited maintenance. And because 10 years ago they were only worth £10k they’re often tarted up on a shoestring.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

But if it is a really good one, once it’s Euro’d up it could be £50-£60k.

The engines were untrusted as they used to break a bit back in the day, but if it’s lasted this long and is still in regular use it’s probably fine. Ideally get a compression check done before purchase to be sure. If it needs a rebuild it’ll be £5-10k. Everything else is generally reliable and they are usefully more refined than early cars, if not quite as naughty sounding and free revving.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Sam wrote:But if it is a really good one, once it’s Euro’d up it could be £50-£60k.

The engines were untrusted as they used to break a bit back in the day, but if it’s lasted this long and is still in regular use it’s probably fine. Ideally get a compression check done before purchase to be sure. If it needs a rebuild it’ll be £5-10k. Everything else is generally reliable and they are usefully more refined than early cars, if not quite as naughty sounding and free revving.
It would have to be REALLY good,with a great story. to make 50k.
Nige

Post by Nige »

coomo wrote:
Sam wrote:But if it is a really good one, once it’s Euro’d up it could be £50-£60k.

It would have to be REALLY good,with a great story. to make 50k.
Yeah with you on that, £50k would be mega strong for a weezy 2.7. I reckon an SC is more desirable than a 2.7s and £50k gets you a cracking SC.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Plenty of 2.7s have made that sort of money.

Clearly there are loads of variables, but it’s definitely doable.

Here are two from the last few months:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/197 ... -911-2-7-1
https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/por ... 3c41125d22
leewiffen
DDK above all

Post by leewiffen »

Sam wrote:Plenty of 2.7s have made that sort of money.

Clearly there are loads of variables, but it’s definitely doable.

Here are two from the last few months:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/197 ... -911-2-7-1
https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/por ... 3c41125d22

That's encouraging although they are both RHD and the car I'm looking at is LHD
However given it is a two owner low mileage car, just 54,000 warranted miles, sunroof, electric mirrors, windows, 5 speed manual and potential £10,000 cheaper than both those cars it may be great value
It has had $28,000 dollars spent at a main Porsche dealer to recommision the car after coming out of storage
leewiffen
DDK above all

Post by leewiffen »

Sam wrote:Budget to change the headlights and steering wheel to euro spec and remove the smog gear if it has it.

The main worry is that there are a lot of poor US cars. For a 77 car to be still around in Europe it will either have been cherished or restored. US dry state cars have often just survived despite limited maintenance. And because 10 years ago they were only worth £10k they’re often tarted up on a shoestring.
I understand lights, indicators as well as removing smog gear, but steering wheel?

L
Sam

Post by Sam »

I’m not totally sure on this one but I think all US 2.7s had a big squidgy wheel centre in place of the new 3 spoker we got. It’s not liked by many.

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Yes - that steering wheel was the std fitment.

The 3.0 Carrera got the 380mm 3-spoke (Sport) wheel in 1976 & it was also offered as an option on the lesser models.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I know where there is a cracker of an SC, matching, almost all original paint, no welding done or needed, 2 owners from new, first a lady, second owner 20+ years with the car. All original interior, tools, jack and even the plastic gloves and kneeling sheet to change the wheel. All books and keys present.

I've known the car for years and the owner too (a classic nutter and hillclimber) who has a nice collection at home.

RHD and black/black interior with eye popping stock inserts.
Wants for nothing.
Few stone chips on the nose.

Owner also has a GT3 Club Sport....

Can pass on details and step away if anyone pm's me.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

I bought one of the RHD 2.7 collecting cars listed above for £50k (inc fees) 2 months ago.

It had £25k of engine rebuild (RS pistons, cylinders etc) from 9excellance (9e), together with a long list of other mechanical mods (c10k) done such as suspension, short shift kit, brake overhaul and Dansk central twin-pipe exhaust (all done in 2019).

I picked it up from Ken at 9e who confirmed the work his team had undertaken together with the overall condition.

It came with the original parts such as rear seats, door cards, mirrors, cills etc all in great condition which suggests the pre-moded car was also in good condition.

I'm guessing that an RHD car without the documnetd engine and other mechanical work, but similar condition would have been worth £35k
I'm not sure I see £50k in a LHD.
Sam

Post by Sam »

The facts disagree. :)

Click on the second link above, an unrestored RHD coupe with a genuine 76k mileage made £61k.

Here’s a LHD targa with 60k miles that made £50k: https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/7369261/ coupes are worth more.

I’m not saying the car in question is worth £50-£60k, I’ve not seen it, but if it’s good enough it will be.
vroomvroom
DDK Fanatic

Post by vroomvroom »

Sam wrote:The facts disagree. :)

Click on the second link above, an unrestored RHD coupe with a genuine 76k mileage made £61k.

Here’s a LHD targa with 60k miles that made £50k: https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/7369261/ coupes are worth more.

I’m not saying the car in question is worth £50-£60k, I’ve not seen it, but if it’s good enough it will be.
Is '73 a special year or the low miles (76k) the driving factor to the price ?

cheers
Sam

Post by Sam »

No MY difference from 74-75 I don’t think. Maybe changed seat recliner knobs after that but minor stuff.

The mileage and originality is the thing. And silver with bright frames is popular too.