New Car Woes - 1...Update

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Yellow491
Married to the DDK

Re: New Car Woes - 1...Update

Post by Yellow491 »

Jason,Barry with 904 in andover uses the brass tubing as well as NB.The ends can be resweated back on also.
If CC was of any concern of reputation they would fix it for you,it is not a big deal for them.
Perhaps they just dont like northerners :)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Yellow491 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:41 pm Perhaps they just dont like northerners :)
Understandable when you think about it... :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

It is. I’m oop North on business at the moment and they all talk strangely and are far too friendly
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

Eyyup lad!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
petric
DDK forever

Post by petric »

Nowt wrong with northerners we say it as it is 👍
73 911T coupe
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Yellow491 wrote: If CC was of any concern of reputation they would fix it for you,it is not a big deal for them.
Perhaps they just dont like northerners :)
Probably. We are an acquired taste! Image

Maybe they just don’t have time as they are too busy choosing the spec of their “workshop” car…

To be fair it does look gorgeous Image
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Probably people in the trade can afford to buy a 992 with the extra profit they make when doing bodge jobs but charging for proper solutions.
Rust Never Sleeps
hot66

Post by hot66 »

BILLY BEAN wrote:Probably people in the trade can afford to buy a 992 with the extra profit they make when doing bodge jobs but charging for proper solutions.
:lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

BILLY BEAN wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:08 pm Probably people in the trade can afford to buy a 992 with the extra profit they make when doing bodge jobs but charging for proper solutions.
I would say from my experience you are correct in saying this. A.N.Other independent who bodged my 2.4S Top End Rebuild has a fleet of rare cars he has bought with the money he has made charging top $$$$$ for shite work and then just washes his hands of any issues at a future date not he work he has done.

Hmmm, seems to be a common theme here somewhere
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

just to balance the bashing and probably an unpopular personal opinion:

from what I read, the previous owner made a decision to go down the bodge route correct? - presumably CC followed the explicit wishes of their client at the time and charged accordingly?

if the poor quality repair was not identified at the point of sale the previous owner will presumably have "the sold as seen" element on their side ?- but they knowingly sold the car to Jason with a less than par job done on elements that were hidden from the naked eye. - here in lies the real villain of the story.

my question is really - presumably the car was bought on the understanding that CC had done the restoration work and as such there was an assumption that a top notch resto was done, I assume commanding the hefty sum, asked of the original seller. Was this restoration or the car discussed with CC prior to purchase? - were they given the opportunity to make buyer be aware statements, ?

Other than not flatly refusing the original clients wishes, and refusing to do what appears a half hob, rather than doing a full job ( for which I assume their fee would have been greater ) I'm not sure what more they should feel obliged to do in respect to a resold item ?

I get that the person who is out of pocket/ left stranded is our Jason, but surely the lesson to learn here is whoever you think has done the restoration on a car you are thinking of buying, its worth contacting them to establish the depth and breadth of work done aligns with the price asked.

Personally I'd have to chalk it up to experience and swallow what has to be a very bitter and expensive pill, I don't think that I'd be expecting CC to make good on the job they were instructed to do by their client because it went pop at a later point down the line.
KS

Post by KS »

No restoration company worth its salt would agree to doing a bodge job at the behest of a customer.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

just noticed that the first post was on this day a year ago!
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Disco wrote:Disco said…

Some good points and well made Image Obviously it’s not a straightforward sale occurrence as the car was sold on after the rubber pipe ‘repair’ and the repair was actually done for the person that had commissioned Canford to build the car for them. I’ve personally tried to just state facts on what occurred with me and what I have then subsequently found. I wasn’t expecting it to turn out like this at the outset…I just had an annoying leak.

I believe I did speak with Alan prior to purchase in researching the vehicle and the fact he told me Canford Classic built it and Bob Watson had done the engine, Mike Bainbridge the gearbox and GTR Motorsport all the bodywork were major factors in paying top dollar for me - they are/were some of the best in the business as far as I was concerned. No repair or issue was mentioned but I also never asked about one, why would you it had done almost no miles since completion? Everyone I spoke to on the car said it was absolutely mint and like brand new and to be fair a lot of it really is.

Yes it’s a very bitter pill to swallow but I’m learning a lot through this thread also. I now know about silver soldering, compression fittings and all sorts of crap I never knew Image

The biggest disappointment is that one of the UK’s biggest Porsche restorers would do a repair like this at all, advertise it for sale straight afterwards and then let it leave their workshops surely knowing it was going to fail pretty soon??!! (About 500 miles later from memory)

Irrespective if that’s what they were told to do by their client or actually advised their client to do….it’s hugely disappointing and bizarre to discover on such a high end build for that same client?

And I only now know that is the case from everyone that has messaged me, spoken to me and commented here as I’d not know otherwise anyway ImageImageImage

But we are learning…Image
Jason

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Cheers Jason, thanks for the clarifications - and I hope my post was / is taken in the spirit it was meant. I feel dreadfully sorry for you personally. Not a nice position to be in and one I would dread to be in myself.

As many a poster has said, once it is behind you and you’ve had a few thousand (s)miles in the car, it’ll be but a distant memory. I hope you get to that point as quick as possible.

All the best,

Disco
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Cheers mate. Be nice to take it to CLM next year…which was this years plan! Still hope to one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason