New body panels currently from Porsche

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: New body panels currently from Porsche

Post by Gary71 »

It could but would probably need a later matching inner sill and maybe mods to the outer to get the right clearance.

Not sure how the jacking point tube/reinforcement works with that either
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Can the supplier answer that question?
Be nice if it could be used; stronger than the original design. Not sure if the jacking point and shape will match the early out sill?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Good thinking about the matching inner sill.

I have a NOS genuine inner sill with part number ending .03 but I think I have to sell that and get later ones (ending .04)

I think the early jacking point and reinforcement plate on the car just need to be removed.

For outer sills, I'll be using smooth ones (genuine Porsche) without indents. :wink:
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It used to be fairly std for restorers (eg Autofarm) to 'upgrade' to the later kidney bowls if they needed replacement ...

I think Jon Miller (DustyM) uses the later parts on all of his restorations.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:47 pm .

It used to be fairly std for restorers (eg Autofarm) to 'upgrade' to the later kidney bowls if they needed replacement ...

Thanks. Do you know if the slightly earlier inner sill (part # ending .03) will fit together with the L-shaped gusset?
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

IanM wrote:Another question Image

Will the later gussets (kidney bowls) as pictured below, fit to pre-73 911?
It seems to me that this gusset being L-shaped will add more rigidity between the B-pillar and the rocker. Another advantage is that it has a jacking point integrated with it, so that's probably a good thing.
Gusset.jpg
I like the early style because it seems better designed to let water out.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
sladey

Post by sladey »

IanM wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:47 pm .

Thanks. Do you know if the slightly earlier inner sill (part # ending .03) will fit together with the L-shaped gusset?
Maybe pm Jon and ask him about it
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

The later L-shaped gusset definitely fit the earlier cars, I had them fitted to my 73 Targa, at the expense of originality, to get the additional rigidity. There is less or perhaps no need for this extra rigidity on coupes.

One point worth noting is that the genuine later L-shape Porsche versions that I received, did not have the jack tube attached or included, whereas the Dansk versions come with the jack tubes welded in place.

I dont know what sill you are talking about - I used the correct genuine sills for our early cars, and they fitted over the L-shape gussets perfectly with no modifications required.... also worth noting, the genuine sills have much sharper nicer-looking folds than the Dansk sills (we put them side by side).
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

deano wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:02 pm The later L-shaped gusset definitely fit the earlier cars,
Thanks for letting me know.

There is less or perhaps no need for this extra rigidity on coupes.
Early 911 shells, even coupes, had very weak torsional rigidity. Any strengthening would be advantageous.

One point worth noting is that the genuine later L-shape Porsche versions that I received, did not have the jack tube attached or included, whereas the Dansk versions come with the jack tubes welded in place.
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the genuine ones you had were for coupe (last two digit part # .00). No longer being offered by Porsche. Below pic is a targa version (.40)

91150707840GRV_LR2.jpg
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

RobFrost wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:42 pmI like the early style because it seems better designed to let water out.
I can see a drain slot at the bottom of the genuine L-shaped gusset. Maybe yours were Dansk?