8000 rpm/300 bhp 3.2 rebuild

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

matteo68
I luv DDK!

Re: 8000 rpm/300 bhp 3.2 rebuild

Post by matteo68 »

hot66 wrote:It’s only money and you can’t take it with you …. Remember he who dies with the most / best toys wins
Love it! …Used to be n+1 for push-bikes & guitars for me (well, still is really) but loving adding early 911s into the mix now!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Rob, you need to find the Prescott Live Stream coverage on YouTube.
We were car number 103 so you just keep on advancing through the video.
The video covers the whole of Sunday.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

How to speed up Shelsley Walsh – by the fastest man on the hill

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/moto ... bace5cdd91
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, and to watch the video shows how very fast it all is, NOWHERE to go wrong and escape. I have bent my 911 in Top Esses...

I can do Shelsley in 31.58, my Class mates are sub 30 by a long way. Very much a BHP hill and a lot of bravery.

Those drain covers are very 'influential' to the run!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

911hillclimber wrote:Quite a weekend of things going on. firstly, a full-on hillclimb at Prescott, busy as they come and perfect conditions.

To the car first.
It started fine, bit better than usual on a cold morning on Saturday and sounded solid.
First practice run and the first time I'd pressed the throttle pedal and the pick up is very noticable, as is the time to warm up, much quicker than before, so things still tight inside.
Got to the starting area ok and did the customary tyre warm-up and really noticed the difference, lots more 'go' and a real lack of traction1
The slicks are now entering their 5th year, really need so fresh tyres.

The blast off the line was superb, and what a noise from behind my (warm) head, you really feel the longer run in the gears, at least 1st, and then second, and didn't change gear again through the whole course! Not may fastest run, but more getting used to it.
Got back to the paddock to no 3/4th gears and no reverse. Not good, but down to a silly mistake I made on Thursday to the gear linkage, quickly fixed with a spanner. now have all 4 gears and far more precise shift action, a good change using the WEVO gate shift.

Second practice run was much the same, but the tyre warming was far more 'dramatic' and scattered the start line marshals...
Got a bollocking from the CofC when i got back, first telling-off at a hillclimb ever. :(

To Sunday and things get serious.
Practice and use 3rd now and the times tumbled to a second of my PB, the engine is fabulous. Get to 4K and the whole thing simply 'swells' with guts breaking traction in second. I don't remember changing to 3rd and back to 2nd, too focused on brakes that seem inadequate.
All over in a blurr, but the car is so different in a really positive way, but have to learn it a bit. Hit the rev limiter in places as i stretched the runs in 1st and 2nd, the base purpose of this exercise.

Second timed run was a bit slower and I lost 2nd in class to the mighty TVR by 2 hundreths of a second. Real hillclimbing stuff. :)
....how much fun does all that sound! 8) :thumbleft:

Good to hear all has gone well Graham, congrats.