Spare Wheel and Connection

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Spare Wheel and Connection

Post by neilbardsley »

I recently replaced the spare tyre on my 914. I set the pressure to 26 and attached the hose for the wind screen fluid. Unfortunately, to secure the tyre the valve must point down. When connection hose is attached this causes the tyre to lose air. Any one else has this issue? This is a problem with the valve or do I need to figure out how to secure with the valve pointing up? This will require a much longer bolt

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Re: Spare Wheel and Connection

Post by KS »

It's the same system used by VW on the Beetle - the spare tyres go flat if there's a tiny leak in the hose or connections either end. It's part and parcel of a not very practical design. That's why so many (me included) convert to an electric screen washer pump and do away with the spare tyre deal. There's a conversion available which places a switch within the steering column so that it is operated by the standard wash/wipe arm.

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

KS

Post by KS »

That's the one!