V112 Declaration of Exemption from MoT

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

chris68
DDK slapper chatter

V112 Declaration of Exemption from MoT

Post by chris68 »

Hi All,

Only just realised this V112 declaration form exists. It's to register your car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest. I'd always assumed that MoT exemption occurred automatically on car reaching 40yrs.

Have others here filled one in? And do we really have to redo the V112 every time we tax our cars (with zero fee)?

Think I'll MoT it soon anyway, just surprised to have stumbled over this form :oops: .

Thanks
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: V112 Declaration of Exemption from MoT

Post by 911hillclimber »

Loads of us have filled this form in.
Do that nd take it to your Pos Office with your V5. They send it all off and you wait fo a new V5 which will state 'Historic interest'
Then you hav to tax it every 12 months, no cost.
You can also not do MoT's anymore if your car meets the criterior. You can take the car for an MoT if you wish.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Just to add a little detail to the above advice, once your car is registered historic you can re-tax it using the onljne system which recognises its status and doesn’t charge for the renewal
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

The V112 form is just a self-declaration form for MOT exemption, which kicks in at 40 years from build or reg date. This is just something you sign and put in your glovebox - MOT exemption is not recorded anywhere. This form seems to have no real use or value, since the mere fact that a car is 40+ means that you don't need an MOT (as long as its not modified).

The historic vehicle status and free road tax is separate to the MOT exemption, and kicks in from the next 1st Apr after your car turns 40. On or after the 1st Apr you can take your V5 to the PO to get the status changed to Historic online and get free road tax - the PO take your V5 and you get a new V5 in the post that shows the class as Historic.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

:bom:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

This all seems quite pointless and baffling to me. I too stumbled across this form a little while back and must admit concluded pretty much the same as Deano.

I’ve never sent off a form to the dvla to get my cars status changed to historic, is there any need to? It’s been tax free for the last 14 years that I’ve owned it, I renew the tax each year online at zero cost.

As mentioned by Deano when the car reaches 40 years of age it no longer needs an MOT, I do still take mine for MOT purely for piece of mind but never has the question of historic status come into question when doing so.

If the MOT exemption automatically kicks in at 40 years why do you need to self declare anything?
Last edited by Timo on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Timo wrote:If the MOT exemption automatically kicks in at 40 years why do you need to self declare anything?
The online form makes this reasonably clear, when it asks you to make the declaration. I guess you never see that part of the online workflow if you have a current MoT (agree, good for peace of mind regardless).
Anyway the declaration part makes clear that you can only skip the MoT if your car is substantially unmodified from its 40-year-old standard spec. Various supporting documentation defines more-or-less what that means.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Ah Ok, so I seem to recall the question about MOT exemption was asked when I did my tax, so the fact that I have declared this online when updating my tax is the equivalent of filling out the V112 form presumably?
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I did miss one detail - I forgot that when you go to the PO to ask for the Historic status (to get free road tax), you have to take proof of insurance and current MOT or the V112 MOT exemption form (which you can obtain and sign there and then, which is what I did recently).
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ap ... -exemption

If you are already getting the free road tax, it sounds like you already have the historic vehicle status - is it stated on your V5 in the [X] Taxation Class row?
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Thanks everyone. I think that's a bit clearer now.

As an aside, my agreed insurance requires me to send a valid MoT certificate along with photos anyway. Makes the whole saga even more pointless.

Cheers
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

Whilst you can use the declaration and not submit your car for MOT, I strongly suggest it is a good thing to still have it MOTed.

I work in the industry and see cars all day everyday. I still have my own car MOTed each year, I regard this as a very small price to just have someone independent cast an eye over it annually. I also regard this as a valuable piece of evidence to the cars overall state, at least on the day of inspection, if it were to be nicked or involved in an incident.

I have always been unhappy with not needing to MOT the older cars, I really do accept that many are truly pampered, but I do see some that are downright dangerous and the declaration has been made by someone who is clearly not having the right skill set to make such a judgement
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Agree, l had brake failure due to a slightly sticking calliper piston which overheated, boiled the brake fluid and lost the brake pedal completely, this would have been picked up on an MOT test.