Best protection options

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Best protection options

Post by 8bit-ash »

I used Noxudol for the Cavities and Bilt Hamber Dynax UB on top of the Raptor. Only feedback I have is the Noxudol didn't spray as nice as I would have liked. I've been getting a lot of targeted ads for Lanoguard which seems to get good feedback. I might try it on the underside of the Boxster.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Spent a bit of time experimenting with an underseal gun yesterday, to see if and how I might achieve a similar finish to that under the car. Thought I would share my findings here.

I was spraying U-pol Gravitex outside (temperature about 10 degree C). The gun was a cheap generic one that I purchased as a kit with the Gravitex.

What I found was this:
- The underseal has to be warmed through and shaken thoroughly before use, and then kept warm during use
- 30-40 PSI works best, creating a the same rippled effect as on the car. The more material you fire at the same area, the deeper the ripples.
- higher pressures blow the wet underseal around too much, forcing more area between the ripples, and destroying the uniformity of the rippled effect (see pic).
- You can see that there is an issue with tiny specks of underseal, around 1 mm diameter which became worse at higher gun pressure. I found that these can be removed once dry, using a fingernail (were removed from 30 PSI sample).
- The gun worked well and was easy to clean by initially spraying with the underseal bottle removed, then spraying a cup of thinners through it.
Gravitex30PSI.jpg
30 PSI (gun thumbwheel set to half way)
Gravitex40PSI.jpg
40 PSI (gun thumbwheel set to half way)
Gravitex50PSI.jpg
50 PSI (gun thumbwheel set to half way)
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Extra pics, showing the gun (thumbwheel is on the other side - doh!), what happens when the gun pressure is too high, and the specks that I mentioned...
UndersealGun.jpg
High gun pressure.jpg
specks.jpg
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

A local paint supplier does the tintable ProXL ToughOx underseal (bedliner). You can order it online of course, but you need a RAL code for the colour and I could not find a decent match.

On the phone, the chap told me that I can get the aerosol (2k) version tinted in-store from a sample of my original underseal.

Lets see! It will be worth spending £20 ish to find out. I am curious to know whether I can create the same texture from the aerosol (if not, then I can buy it for the shultz gun).. :P

Looks like the underseal was originally white!
Original73Underseal.jpg
UndersealCrosssectionIsWhite.jpg
UndersealCrosssectionIsWhite.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Dean