Clutch Release bearing query

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Clutch Release bearing query

Post by MikeB »

Folks

Had recently put a new clutch onto the car ( 3.0 SC motor to a 915 box alloy cased box with the 18 tooth drives) and had a bit of a rumble and clicking when the clutch was engaged, the sound disappeared when the pedal was depressed to the point where the clutch was disengaged. So pulled the motor and 'box out, checked the release bearing with another that I had and it was running quietly. However, when I offered it up to the clutch fork, the two legs of the fork would only go about 3/4 of the way to the centre of the bearing and you cannot slide the bearing over the input shaft sleeve when it is in the fork, see pic

Is this normal or should the fork legs be wider apart so they can slide over the bearing? I am not aware of damaging the fork and the tips of it look to be aligned with each other.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Clutch Release bearing query

Post by jwhillracer »

The forks should slide on easily Mike, since they need to be engaged as you slide the gearbox on to the engine. I haven’t a spare fork to measure, probably worth a call to the other Mike B in the Lakes for a measurement.
Cheers
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just measured the spare yoke I have.
The distance between the two fingers Is 75mm so the diameter of the release bearing should be that or a bit smaller.
The two bearing pads on the two fingers should span the diameter of the bearing, no less, no more.
Hope this helps.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Jonathan & Graham

Many thanks, my fork gap is 72 mm so it must have got dinged when I last put the box on two weeks ago. Have new fork ordered from Type911

Problem solved :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers