New UK member

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

matteo68
I luv DDK!

New UK member

Post by matteo68 »

Hi everyone

Thought I'd introduce myself as a new member to the board - I'm 52, live near Woodstock in Oxfordshire, married with two teenage daughters. I'm also a long-time Porsche fan, having owned a Polar Silver / Midnight Blue 993 C2 Coupe back in 2000-2003 which I loved to bits but unfortunately had to sell when babies arrived and I had to buy something that could accommodate all their paraphenalia, so I bought a V8 M5 which was an amazing car to be fair (but not as good as the 993!). We took that 993 to the 2001 Monza GP via Stuttgart (the Porsche factory tour we arranged in advance and museum afterwards were particular highlights, as was driving over the Alps to Lugano with a Roock sports exhaust which I'd fitted just before the trip!). I said to my wife when I sold it to a fellow PCGB member that one day I will get another 911 when circumstances allow, and since I've always had a soft spot for pre-73 aircooled cars, an F-model had to be top of my list for my next car.

After the M5 went in 2006, I went through various boring diesel estates and SUVs - family 'trundlewagons' - but have recently taken the plunge and said goodbye to oilburners to help save the planet and bought a Jaguar I-Pace HSE (Taycan was strong contender but I still need a degree of practicality & a big boot to lug all my leisure interest gear around (guitars & amps, mountain bikes and scuba kit) and its actually proven to be a really good car - range is not an issue because I don't do big mileage journeys as a rule. Its fast, practical, comfortable, stylish and well-built and that's what I need in an everyday car. My petrolhead instincts certainly haven't departed me though - recent visits to Sunday Scrambles at Bicester Heritage, the British GP with my 22 year old nephew and Silverstone Classic have been wonderful days out to indulge my passion and I am looking forward to heading south to La Sarthe for Le Mans Classic next year.

The pandemic has left me with plenty of time stuck at home to daydream and surf the internet over the past year, so I initially started
looking around for a silver RHD 2.4S as I thought that would be a 'proper' pre-73 to enjoy but was shocked to see where prices have risen to in the intervening period (back in 1998 I nearly bought a RHD GP white with Blue '73 RST for £50k from Josh Sadler....). Accordingly, I abandoned the S idea for the time being, and went off at a bit of a tangent, and with Alan Drayson's help at Canford Classics, located a '72T 'oelkappe' Coupe in California as a project car to turn into an ST tribute... Its on its way to the UK now and we shall see what comes out of the container! We know its not a matching numbers car, nor is it an S, so its never going to be a premium car, but it was built in May '72, doesn't appear to be a pile of scrap(!) and hails originally from Hawaii so a bit of interest there to hopefully build upon.

I am really looking forward to the journey to create 'my' ST and the hunt to source as many parts listed in the Porsche Competition Spares List ('Nov '71 edition) as possible and watch it be stripped back to bare metal, painted and rebuilt with Alan's expert assistance over the coming years - I am quite sure it won't be a quick process, and who knows I might have to buy a sorted car in the interim to satisfy my classic car hunger!

I hope to learn a huge amount from the various threads on the board and would be happy to receive any advice at this starting point - good, bad or ugly!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: New UK member

Post by KS »

Welcome to DDK! Look forward to seeing regular updates on your project – and yes, there is a mine of information available here!

Will be interesting to see what a Hawaiian car is like – all I know about Hawaii is that when it's not sunny, it rains a lot (in places). At least they don't need to put salt on their roads!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

Welcome, and love the bio.

Has it arrived yet? have you got any pics? is it a pile of scrap?
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Welcome to ddk

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Hi Louis356

Sorry for the delayed reply! It seems I hadn’t subscribed to my own thread (didn’t realise you have to do that on DDK - is there a setting to do this automatically?).

The car has finally left Oakland - yesterday - having sat in a container for about 6 weeks now! Estimated arrival at Southampton is 22nd November, so we still don’t know!

Plenty of parts being found in the meantime however, including a complete 2.4 S engine, ST seats, GT runners, steering wheel, brakes, headlamps etc etc - all period correct and a hugely enjoyable part of the process!

I will start a thread as soon as the donor car arrives here!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Not long to wait now - welcome to DDK
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Thanks neilbardsley, its a great community and have made some really good friends already - so helpful and knowledgeable.
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Thanks Bootsy! I’m not holding my breath around estimated dates of arrival- they just seem to slip all the time due to the ongoing global shipping problems.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Welcome to DDK, and a great intro. If you know that container ship name get onto https://www.marinetraffic.com/ and track it coming over!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Hi Brendan
Yes, my brother told me about that when he was waiting for his Tesla to come over from California - its really useful and I can see that the ship is underway from
Oakland now and due in Panama on the 15th. The Yangming website is quite useful too as I have the container number and info on the Bill
Of Lading documentation from West Coast Shipping.

Matt
KS

Post by KS »

matteo68 wrote:Hi Brendan
Yes, my brother told me about that when he was waiting for his Tesla to come over from California - its really useful and I can see that the ship is underway from
Oakland now and due in Panama on the 15th. The Yangming website is quite useful too as I have the container number and info on the Bill

Matt
Just had a look - it should be OK as long as they're quick...

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

KS wrote:
matteo68 wrote:Hi Brendan

Matt
Just had a look - it should be OK as long as they're quick...

:shock: :lol: