Indicator lights on rpm gauge?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Indicator lights on rpm gauge?

Post by neilbardsley »

My indicator lights on the rpm gauge aren't synced with the indicators. Sometimes both flash. The indicators work. Is there a separate relay circuit for the gauge? How do they work?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Indicator lights on rpm gauge?

Post by rhd racer »

I think, from memory, there is a feed from the hazard switch, which is the epicentre of indicator wiring. When I rewired my car, I did it a little more simply, and simply ran the left in series with the left indicator circuit, and the right to the right circuit. This eliminates the problem of them operating out of sync.

However, worth checking if my memory is correct, and if so (assuming all else is working as it should) then try and get a good 2nd hand hazard switch and not do any wiring at all. The only other thing to easily check is that all the earths from the gauge in question are in good condition (they all loop together and terminate on earthing posts under the dash).

Hope that helps
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i have the same problem, in one direction the indicator tell tale works ok, the other way, both tell tales flash. i may try the trick of avoiding the hazard switch as well.
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i have the same problem, in one direction the indicator tell tale works ok, the other way, both tell tales flash. i may try the trick of avoiding the hazard switch as well.
1972 911S
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I cleaned the contract points and now the left turn indicator in the gauge is much brighter but the right is still having an issue.

I'm finding the wiring diagram very difficult to read

Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i fitted a kroon harness which came with a set of wiring instructions - if it would help, i can send you a copy? shows the back of each gauge and what wires go where...?
1972 911S
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that I have the wires to the gauges correct.

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

My 911 did this for 30 years...
Fixed sort of by juggling leads and the right works, the left flashes correctly for 3 cycles then the tach light stops, indicators keep working.....
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9