Post by PeterK »

No, single use only
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 3.2 Carrera UK emissions fail

Post by RobFrost »

Nige wrote:Change in engine note. Spray carb cleaner around each intake joint, if the idle speeds rises/smooths out for a few moments then you have a leak.
I have a leak. The fluctuating became much more accentuated and then stalled. Also the spray looks like it's getting sucked in and out. I posted elsewhere but is there an easier way of removing the intake assembly than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVLkAfPUc-w

He basically dismantles the lot :(
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Chris_911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Chris_911 »

RobFrost wrote:
Nige wrote:Change in engine note. Spray carb cleaner around each intake joint, if the idle speeds rises/smooths out for a few moments then you have a leak.
I have a leak. The fluctuating became much more accentuated and then stalled. Also the spray looks like it's getting sucked in and out. I posted elsewhere but is there an easier way of removing the intake assembly than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVLkAfPUc-w

That's pretty much it - and you've got a head start as your backdate is already missing some bits.

It's really not that much work.
"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before, or after, is just waiting."

1988 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe
2006 Honda VFR800 Vtec
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Chris_911 wrote:
RobFrost wrote:

That's pretty much it - and you've got a head start as your backdate is already missing some bits.

It's really not that much work.
It all went down faster than in the video, thankfully. That looked like a day's work. Also found a broken off hose on the back of the plenum which probably wasn't helping.
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Chris_911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Chris_911 »

Good news.
Once you get into it....
As you've found it's a big advantage to pull it all off as you can see the condition of all the hoses and connections.

2006 Honda VFR800 Vtec
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

All the oil/crankcase breather pipes around the back of the intake can affect the idle.

Does your engine idle speed alter when you remove the oil filler cap. It should just wobble a bit when you remove it, and then settle back to normal when you replace it.
Chris_911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Chris_911 »

Nige wrote:All the oil/crankcase breather pipes around the back of the intake can affect the idle.

Does your engine idle speed alter when you remove the oil filler cap. It should just wobble a bit when you remove it, and then settle back to normal when you replace it.
Upon removing the oil filler cap my idle speed drops noticeably but remains steady.

2006 Honda VFR800 Vtec
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Just linking this related thread: https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 44&t=68935 where I also post the apparent resolution.