Where is Roy's thread on removing the starter?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Where is Roy's thread on removing the starter?

Post by simon james »

Neil, I seem to recall that when I did my bushing, all that was required was (I think) an M14 tap.
The idea is that as you “thread” the old bushing, the end of the tap cams out on the gearbox casing and pushes the old bushing out!
It’s a good few years since I did it though.
My car when bought was terrible at starting, almost like the energy in the cables had to build up and then be released, slowly!
I’m still on 6v, there are no fancy relays, it’s all standard and it starts as good as any 12v system now.
The single biggest improvement was cleaning the copper strap connections on the starter itself and squirting copious amounts of switch cleaner into the solenoid!
Persevere and victory shall be yours!
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. I think that would of probably worked I just wanted to give myself more than one option to finish the job.

I think that a good clean of the inside of the starter and grease on the existing housing would of made a bit difference.

I have cleaned the gearbox earth strap before but one end appears to be on a bolt that doesn't more and is welded in! I will try to post some pictures next weekend

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Battled the bush for an hour this morning. I used the extraction tool. Fitted it and righted it but I can't get the 22mm spanner on the nut to probably turn and remove the bush. Just not enough space. Think I'm going to grease and put the new starter on then get someone with a car lift to do

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

I am a bit confused You extracted the old bush from the bell housing and inserted the new one. Then you say you have to use a 22mm spanner to turn the bush??

Is the problem you have connected to inserting the top bolt ( holding the motor to the bell housing )? It is difficult to enter the top bolt through the bell housing when you are under the car. trying to hold the motor in place. I used blutac on the top of the motor and stuck the bolt to it first with about 40 mm sticking out of the flange. Then when you raise the motor the end of the bolt will start to go through the tunnel. Sure it helps if someone leaning over the engine bay can screw the location nut on for you. Also to finally guide in the bolt, its easier if you work from the left side underneath you have more access to see your left hand and to grasp the bolt. So, first if you can just enter the top bolt in the tunnel, from the right side then put the bottom nut on, then move over to the left side underneath to push the top bolt right through the tunnel with your left hand and then get someone to screw the nut on.

Sorry if this does seem confusing. Regarding the 22mm bolt ? Did you mean the 12mm Bolt?

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

No I haven't extracted the bushing. The extraction tool has a 22mm nut that has to be turned. I can't get space to turn this nut

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

Neil, to be fair when I looked at mine I struggled to see or feel any wear.
I think you’re correct to pop it all back together. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Do let us know the outcome.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes Simon pleased you said that, as I mentioned too, there was minimal wear on my old bushing after I removed and checked it. Hope Neil's one is the same. ( I had the extractor but don't remember a 22 mm nut ? to extract. The force to remove it was very light. Stoddards extractor tool T55.110.228A I used and bolt looks about 12 mm across flats. Access was easy from memory.

Roy
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Here is the tool. The large nut is 22mm. I just didn't have enough room to turn it but all back together. The bush was very dry. I sprayed some cleaner in there and added a generous amount of grease. Given how dry it was I suspect that was the issue with starting when it had been sitting. I also got the ground strap from the gearbox off and cleaned all the contract surfaces. I still have to put my reconditioned rpm counter back in and then I will try a start. Will be next weekend

Ps the top bolt was fasted on pretty quickly by Mrs B. The most difficult part was getting it into the hole blind with my arm trying to get around the starter.
now.ImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

All starting again. 20 mins of panic when nothing happened when I turned the key but I have discontinued a wire when putting the rpm counter back in. The weather was too rubbish to take for a ride

https://youtube.com/shorts/-3gHt0c6w1U?feature=share

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Nice one Neil . That certainly starts well 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Good stuff Neil, any the wiser as to the underlying ailment?
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

Hurrah!
And it also goes to prove that it isn’t always necessary to replace the bush!
Fingers crossed for a nice day!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Hugo 356 wrote:Good stuff Neil, any the wiser as to the underlying ailment?
Not really but as I said the bush was quite dry

roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

A new motor and new solinoid Neil. It could well have been the old solinoid or a problem within the old motor you changed.
Pleased it started.

Roy