Where is Roy's thread on removing the starter?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Where is Roy's thread on removing the starter?

Post by Kneeslider »

When I last had my engine out, I modified the top two engine to gearbox bolts by drilling the hexagon heads and soft soldering roll pins in place through them to create a captive bolt effect. Hopefully then next time I have to take them out, it will just be a case of undoing the nuts behind the fan shroud and there will be no need for mucking about with multiple socket extensions under the car to get at the bolt heads and stop them spinning.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

It’s a lot easier with a much smaller, Hi-torque starter, not just because it’s easier to insert and hold the top bolt, but because you needn’t worry about the bell housing bush because it doesn’t use it.
356Monkey
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356Monkey »

Just wanted to share in the warm messages about Rob from Broadway Electrical.

Rob built me two 6 volt starters and also 1 6 volt dynamo. He was a genuine font of knowledge for all things Bosch automotive electrical thanks to his many years as a bosch main agent from the 60's. I doubt there is anyone else in the country who could boast that level of experience for which many of us have benefited. Above that he was a lovely warm hearted genuine man.
1964 Porsche 356c (RHD)
1957 Vespa GS 150 VS3
1960 Vespa GS 150 VS5
1960 Lambretta Li125
1963 Lambretta Li150 series 3
1962 Lambretta TV175
1966 Lambretta SX200
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

You are missed Rob. The chap 5 mins up the road that I have given my starter to called back 2 weeks later (after 2 chases) to say he couldn't look at it until 2022. Mrs B is picking it up this morning. Strangely I asked him how long it would take him to do before giving it to him. He wouldn't commit until he had opened.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Lots of 6v VW/356 starter problems are circuit related, hence many install relays.

You can narrow the problem down by hotwiring the starter to the battery being careful of sparks.

I did this with the starter in situ using jump leads one to the battery, one to the starter then join in the middle. I'm not sure if it can be done with the starter out the car; Rob used a test rig
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I had already removed a relay from near the starter but you are correct Ive sourced a reconditioned one for 160 but will look to repair my existing one

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Is it essential to replace the bushing on the bell housing?ImageImage

Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

If the bush in the bell housing is worn it is considered a source of starter problems, recommended to be replaced if you have the engine out
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

When I had slow cranking when hot Joe Leonni advised the bell housing bush if worn would allow the starter shaft to drop down and upset starter operation which made sense.

So I bought a bush and had an extractor to remove it ( some said use tap only from memory 14mm and screw it in and pull the bushing out.). The extractor seemed the way to go for me.

When I got it out undamaged I used my telescopic internal measuring gauge and micrometer to measure the bore and compared it to the new one. The over 50 year old one from my measurements had worn about 0.001". I was very surprised to see so little wear. Of course the problem ended up not with the bush but with the starter solinoid contacts being so dirty.

Its a pain getting the starter off and then finding its the bush to have to do the job all over again. But unless you have a long plug gauge to check if its sloppy its so hard to be positive on an answer should you, or should you not bother!!

It takes 15 minutes to extract and replace the bush if you have the equipment !!

I guess Mike at PRS has done it many times or for that matter I guess VW owners must have a similar bush process? Often wondered about yes or no to that bushing !
Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Well neither the new or old starter will spin from a 6v battery. I tried 2 batteries. Both at 6.1v. something comes from the from of the starter but nothing turns. I connected the old starter to a 12v and it turns but I didn't dare do this with the new battery. I'm charging the battery up so it has more power but it should work on 6.1v??Image

roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

Be very careful, the power from the starter on rotation is great. A proper fixture is needed if you want to check rotation. Google the question or raise it on forums don't take a chance without checking first.

Also without changing the bush or even when fitting a new one, you must put high melting point grease in the bushing!
Check the volume of grease in the workshop book you must have I guess. Don't try the starter with a battery check first !!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I found this thread where you detail the process

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... ush#p39868

KS

Post by KS »

I hope you weren't trying to power the starter motor(s) up on the bench like that. It is imperative that they be mounted in a bellhousing, with the shaft supported in the bushing - otherwise the armature will be free to jam against the magnets, meaning the motor can't turn and may be damaged...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Well unfortunately I was I had done it before with the starter on my Discovery but I will not try again

https://youtu.be/1-PXBjovZDE

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Extraction tool and heat grease ordered