Stopping body roll on 356

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Stopping body roll on 356

Post by neilbardsley »

Maybe it's because I've been driving my 914 a lot more but my 356 has a lot of left/right body roll when cornering. I have koni suspension. I believe the fronts are on the middle settings. Do I just stiffen everything up a bit?

Anyone used Vic camber regulator?

http://356enterprises.com/suspension-an ... rsche-356/

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Stopping body roll on 356

Post by Ashley James »

My C has an anti-roll bar and no roll, so that would be my first suggestion. I’ve fitted a thicker one on my Healey, one to my Bristol 400 and two to my MK VI Bentley. Old cars that used cross plies need anti-roll bars before the rear needs attention.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

How does an anti roll bar work and fix? Where are they available

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Your A probably has the thinner stock anti roll bar on the front. Later cars used thicker ones. Some advocate going to 19mm thickness for the front bar.

My C has the stock later front ARB, and seems pretty planted on 185s and 5.5 rims. I had been wondering about getting hold of one of the camber compensators as my car never had one fitted (some did from the factory). I once had the pleasure of leaving the road rear end first in a Beetle which had a Z bar fitted, and even though it was nearly 30 years ago, its not something you forget quickly. Swing axles can be a real handfull to get back under control once they start to get away from you. I really don't want the same experience in my 356, and if a camber compensator does all its supposed to, it should prevent the swing axles tucking under.

As usual it comes down to cost and the inevitable shipping from the USA + shipping + customs malarkey.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Anti roll bar = torsion bar?

Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Neil - the anti roll bar is part no. 61 at the bottom of this diagram:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

- & here's a couple of pictures from when I was 'refreshing' the front suspension on my 356C:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

1955 Cars were the first with a 14 mm Anti Roll Bar (cannot remember the Chassis No.)

All models after that had a 15 mm Bar with the exception of `C`s, SC`s and Carrera`s which were increased to 16 mm

PRS can supply a 17.5 Bar and it really will give you more confidence, at speed in in long corners

I do not have the time to get into the Suspension Function on a 356, I`ll leave that to others

Critical is good Transmission Mounts- Good Engine Mounts - Good Rear Torsion Bar Rubbers - Good shocks (all doing the same thing) and the Rear Toe-in setting

The cars ride Height - Tyre Pressures - What tyres you have all affect the feel and ride

The Front Suspension and Steering is yet another are that needs to be set up correctly

Vic`s Bar adds to what can be done but it is all part of starting at the beginning and working through everything
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Kneeslider wrote:Your A probably has the thinner stock anti roll bar on the front. Later cars used thicker ones. Some advocate going to 19mm thickness for the front bar.

My C has the stock later front ARB, and seems pretty planted on 185s and 5.5 rims. I had been wondering about getting hold of one of the camber compensators as my car never had one fitted (some did from the factory). I once had the pleasure of leaving the road rear end first in a Beetle which had a Z bar fitted, and even though it was nearly 30 years ago, its not something you forget quickly. Swing axles can be a real handfull to get back under control once they start to get away from you. I really don't want the same experience in my 356, and if a camber compensator does all its supposed to, it should prevent the swing axles tucking under.

As usual it comes down to cost and the inevitable shipping from the USA + shipping + customs malarkey.
Have no fears, when the back eventually gives way after understeer, it’s gentle and progressive and nothing to worry about. I decided not to bother with the rear end add on for this reason.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Today before taking the 356 out I checked the tire pressures. The backs where a bit down and 1 psi different. I set to 25.5/30. The ride was better but more testing needed