Brake pads for standard set up.

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Brake pads for standard set up.

Post by Dean.s »

As the pagid pads have been cooked due to the seized caliper i'm looking for new pads.

What are people using on standard brake set ups? I've found ebc coloured pads but i've not used them before.

Pad suggestiins appreciated.
1974 Porsche 914
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Re: Brake pads for standard set up.

Post by 914 KEV »

I have been using EBC Green Stuff for over 20 years and they work well on the standard set up and using the 914 for driving on roads.
The other advantage over standard and other performance brake pads is that the EBC Green Stuff brake dust is less harmful to wheel rims and the brakes pads do not contain ferrous metals which can damage wheels rims.
I do not want my wheel rims to be covered in black brake dust and brown dust caused by rust from the ferrous metals in brake pads that then it sticks to the wheel rims and then is a very hard job to remove once baked on.

Fronts are DP2104 (The 73 model year onwards could use a fatter pad, but EBC do not make a fatter Green Stuff pad over the standard thickness) and rears are DP2105 and will require one hole per pad to be drilled out to except the fat brake pad retaining pin.
914 Daily driver since 1990
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Kevin someone recommended the yellow pads to me. Have you used them?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

I, too, use the EBC 'Green'...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

neilbardsley wrote:Kevin someone recommended the yellow pads to me. Have you used them?
No, and I have no plan to.

I use my cars on the road and I don't drive foot to the floor then stand on the brakes to stop it all day long.
I never found that the Green Stuff and the ATE TYP200 brake fluid that I use didn't stop the light 914 and my fleet are stock with only slight modifications.
Everybody drives differently and you might brake heavy?
If braking is poor on a fairly stock 914 then it tells me that brake calipers need rebuilding, brake discs need changing, brake fluid needs changing, brake hoses need changing, brake master cylinder needs changing along with new brake pads and setting of brake pad venting clearances on the rear calipers and master cylinder brake pedal free play.
914 Daily driver since 1990
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

"If braking is poor on a fairly stock 914 then it tells me that brake calipers need rebuilding, brake discs need changing, brake fluid needs changing, brake hoses need changing, brake master cylinder needs changing along with new brake pads and setting of brake pad venting clearances on the rear calipers and master cylinder brake pedal free play."

All of those things have been done

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Thanks Kev

That's what i had whittled it down to. I had to elongate the the pagid pads so i guessed this standard style would need the same.
1974 Porsche 914
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I compete using yellows. I would not expect something that aggressive to be needed for the road, so would go with the greens per the above

Cheers
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony