Fan shroud removal - engine out?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

David Rooke
DDK addict

Fan shroud removal - engine out?

Post by David Rooke »

My 912 has developed serious incontinence in her old age. She’s a’drippn from the bottom of the gearbox where it mounts to the engine and all my nice clean engine oil is falling to the floor. I suspect it is coming from the top of the engine somewhere in the oil cooler circuit as it was triggered yesterday when she got up to temperature.

It’s been 8 years or so since I last had the engine out and I can’t recall / visualise if it’s possible to get to the oil cooler with the engine in situ? Can I remove the fan shroud in the car or should I just set to and drop the engine. In reality I’ll probs need a clutch too as that might be contaminated. But it’s always nice to think there is any easy fix awaiting a brief spanner application.

Thanks.
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Fan shroud removal - engine out?

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes it possible but easier to attempt open heart surgery.

To be certain it's the oil cooler take the generator/fan off and have a look inside the . This will take 10 mins.

If dipping from the gearbox area could also the crank seal.

Both aren't difficult jobs once the engine is out. If the engine has to come out let me know if you need another part of hands.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Is it definately coming from the rear nearside?

The offside rocker cover has a breather attached, and sometimes that rubber hose comes detached and if so can spill oil out from that side of the car. You should be able to see the hose passing through the tinware in the engine bay?
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Good point. I had this in mine and it manifested by oil over the head/rocker covered. Also happen on the other side when the bolt, through the metalware, into the head needed lockite.

It's rare for oil to travel backwards?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

Thanks both - I will check these locations. It doesn't seem to be coming down from the heads - hence suspect oil cooler circuit - but if I can visualise from the generator apperture that will confirm the plan!
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Great advise from Neil regarding the visual check, don’t think I’d even attempt to get the fan shroud off without removing the engine first, sounds tricky.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan